Unfertilizied eggs?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
AlSrah
Pip
Pip

Unfertilizied eggs?

Post by AlSrah » Fri May 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi, first post on here. Couldn't really find the answers elsewhere so any help would be great! I believe i have two female zebra Finches I got in February, as the store couldn't guarantee sex, but I judged by markings and behaviour. They've been getting along great the last few months but the last three days they've been kind of standoff-ish to each other. This morning I found three eggs in my bottom tray (didn't build a nest cuz I read they would fight over it if both female) and all three are slightly cracked. I'm really confused and not sure what to do, I've candled the eggs and they don't look fertilised (I've had ducks and chicks so I pretty much know what to look for) and there's nothing.
Should I separate them for a while or build a nest and remove eggs asap? I don't want them to fight or be upset but I just don't have space for breeding yet. Any advice is helpful so thank you all in advance!
Attachments
15266650001305111154304077782378.jpg

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Unfertilizied eggs?

Post by canary3000 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:50 pm

I would seperate them if you can. I have a dna kit for two birds that I never used and won't need, since I am able to determine my birds sex. I'll see if I can find it and if it's transferable. Would you be interested. No charge for it. Cost me like $30 but wasting away probably in one of my many files. You'd get results over your email after a week or so. You would need to be from the USA.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri May 18, 2018 10:25 pm

AlSrah

Like chickens, female finches can lay infertile eggs without a male; this is likely what happened. Do you have photos of the zebra finches? Members could help verify what sex they are.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat May 19, 2018 4:54 am

These eggs look like they were once FERTUKE. And have died I think u have been sold a pair instead of two females and the way you say markings it’s only the males that usually have the markings eg the cheek patches, bars, flanks ...

Can u upload a pic ?
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat May 19, 2018 4:55 am

Uninfertile eggs aren’t usually that white they are more of an off white
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

andy
Pip
Pip

Post by andy » Wed May 23, 2018 6:43 am

hi, i have a pair of gouldian finches that seem to have a clutch of eggs but so far all have been infertile , this is there 3rd time, how long do you normally give them before changing the cock bird.