Zebra Finch hen found at the bottom of the cage belly up.

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
imaleh
Pip
Pip

Zebra Finch hen found at the bottom of the cage belly up.

Post by imaleh » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:39 pm

Hello Everyone,
I have a male and a female for about six month now. Today I noticed that my female was laying on her back at the bottom of the page and having hard time flipping back up. I helped her and she jumped around and acted normal for a while and was eating and a couple of hours later I noticed that she was back upside down.
I helped her again. She acted normal for few hours and few minutes ago I noticed her she was on belly up again. I helped her back and covered the cage as it is their time to sleep now. I am a bit worry and puzzled. Any ideas why is she doing this?

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Zebra Finch hen found at the bottom of the cage belly up

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:21 pm

imaleh

I don't know how to help you, but that sounds like some sort of neurological issue. Did this behavior occur suddenly, or have you noticed any other symptoms, like balance issues or wing droopiness? At first I thought lead poisoning, but that would likely result in other problems, so it may be brain dysfunction instead. If it is some sort of seizure disorder, it could result in temporary tonic immobility, which would make it so she would stay motionless for a bit before attempting to get up. Either way, make sure the water dish is shallow, or she could flip over and drown.

imaleh
Pip
Pip

Re: Zebra Finch hen found at the bottom of the cage belly up

Post by imaleh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:44 am

Thank you for your reply Icecream. Good advice i will remove the deep water dish which they use for bathing.