Wondering if I purchased siblings at petsmart

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Rosy2018
Pip
Pip

Wondering if I purchased siblings at petsmart

Post by Rosy2018 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:07 am

Hello I am new to this forum i purchⁿⁿⁿ0ased over the summer 2 zebra finches months summer from PetSmart all the birds in the cage were young so I purchased a boy and a girl they both have the same color leg brace which is silver. I am wondering if I possibly had purchased a brother and sister not sure how they get there finches sent to the store and if they are from the same clutch is there any way that I could find this information out they are breeding laying eggs I have not had a successful chick hatch though, but they are still young and learning but every time I go back and just look at the finches when they get new finches in their all young babies just wondering if they possibly come from the same parents or do they have different birds from different parents.. thank you for any advice on this.

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: Wondering if I purchased siblings at petsmart

Post by CathyCraftz » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:29 am

The only way to find out is if you ask the staff there. Meanwhile, don't let them breed, as their chicks are inbred and are likely to have a weak immune system or disabilities eg. leg missing.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Places like Petsmart buy from who knows where, including breeding mills.

Do the bands have any identifying print on them? Are they open plastic or closed metal?

If they are banded that is uncommon with zebras so at minimum I'd suspect they came from the same place -with a decent possibility of them being siblings.

Either case it would be safer to not breed them.

Rosy2018
Pip
Pip

Post by Rosy2018 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:25 am

Thank you they have silver bands and I did ask and of course they don't know. They are not educated in in any info on the animals when I purchased they didn't even know how to tell the sexes apart. And I've been there a few times and they never know. I researched it. It's a shame. Hard to find breeders in PA..

limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by limechiffon » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:49 pm

I'd think Pennsylvania would have some breeders. Whereabouts? We'll help you look. :lol:
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

Rosy2018
Pip
Pip

Post by Rosy2018 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Rochester, Beaver county PA

Rosy2018
Pip
Pip

Post by Rosy2018 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:12 pm

I found my 2 lady goudians in sewickley pa, which is about a half an hour from my house I bought a male and a female they're not a breeding pair though they are about 18 months she did have some babies but they did not have the colors yet and they needed the mall first so I do believe June or July they should be ready and I asked her if she can save me a girl cuz I would like to have my boy have a girl that may be interested in him the girl I have now she wants nothing to do with him..

limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by limechiffon » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:05 am

There's a bird show in Pittsburg 3x a year. https://www.facebook.com/OHPAbirdfair/

You probably can contact them and ask about local breeders. I've had great luck with the organizers of my local bird show being helpful and going above and beyond to help me find birds.
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

Rosy2018
Pip
Pip

Post by Rosy2018 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:05 pm

Thank you I seen that show in Pittsburgh I wanted to go and I missed it. I'll look into that don't know why I didn't think of that..

jellis
Pip
Pip

Post by jellis » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 am

Some one suggested buy one each from different stores or locations. We don't know the breeders in my area so I bought a male from a Feed store and female at PetSmart. They are both doing well, eating and sleeping together.

Ellebee
Pip
Pip

Post by Ellebee » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:00 pm

I am from Pittsburgh area and I too have bought zebra finches from PetSmart(about 4 years ago). Mine did not have a band tho. Zebra finch gender is easily identified because the males will have orange circles on their cheeks.
I have also bought Society finch from PetSmart and I have never seen bands on them either. The sales person told me they were all female but I think I have a male because he sings and only the males sing and you cannot identify gender in Society finch.
Basically, it’s tough to trust PetSmart.
This past year I discovered the Pa/Ohio birdfair, it is every three months (except winter) In Monroeville. It is so awesome and I have learned so much. They have so many different finches and the breeders identify siblings by putting the same color bands on their legs so that they don’t sell someone siblings to prevent inbreeding. It sounds like you may have same siblings but same gender if one does not have orange cheeks. I feel bad for these animals at PetSmart because the sales people have no clue about them and only want to make a sale. I still have one of my original zebra from there and the Society and they are healthy and I am glad I was able to get them out of that store.
Good luck!