Behaviour issues?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
tobiask190
Pip
Pip

Behaviour issues?

Post by tobiask190 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:46 pm

I have two gouldian finches, one male and one female. The female is still moulting from her youth feathers. I sometimes find feathers at the bottom of the cage and I heard from my mother that the male pecked at the legs of the female. Is there any abnormalities, and if so, how should I prevent them?

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Behaviour issues?

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:27 pm

tobiask190

Gouldians are usually non aggressive. The male may be anxious to mate but she certainly can't handling exerting energy for eggs and molting at the same time.

I would separate them with the flights right next to each other so she can go through her molt in peace, yet be close to her obviously anxious mate.

When she is done with her molt, she will have more energy to assert herself.

tobiask190
Pip
Pip

Post by tobiask190 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:37 am

Babs _Owner
How big should the other flight be? The only other cage I have apart from the main cage is a small one. (About 1ft by 1ft in width and length)

Ellebee
Pip
Pip

Post by Ellebee » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:45 am

If you are planning on breeding them I would add a pair of Society finch because I have heard from a lot of breeders that Gouldians do not always make the best parents and will often throw one of the chicks out of the nest. Society finch make excellent parents and will happily raise them.