Which one is a female green singer finch? Answers neededASAP

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Squibeetos
Pip
Pip

Which one is a female green singer finch? Answers neededASAP

Post by Squibeetos » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:16 pm

It's been really hard trying to find a female green singer for my male, and I found a guy selling his. Which of the three are a possible female? I'm think the one with the grey "necklace" might be a female. Please give me some insight!!!
Attachments
20190109_190321_1547155694843.jpg
20190109_190314_1547155695248.jpg
Pets I have

1 Dog (Mixed)
3 Goldfish
4 Finches (2 Zebra, 2 Green Singer)
2 Cockatiels
Handfeeding 2 baby parakeets
20 Parakeets
1 Pigeon
1 English budgie
1 Moluccan Umbrella hybrid cockatoo

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Which one is a female green singer finch? Answers needed

Post by isobea » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:39 pm

Squibeetos - I enlarged the pictures but I'm still not sure. Does the seller claim one of the birds is a female? Does he live far away from you? Meaning could you go over and look at his birds? The female's yellow should be paler than the male's and she should have a 'necklace' of gray dots across her throat.
Do you keep your green singer in the same cage as your other birds? If so, do they all get along? I was considering buying a pair of green singers to go into my 16 foot outdoor aviary (with my other finches). But all the sellers/breeders I asked told me the male would get really aggressive during breeding season (to the point of seriously injuring other birds). Something to consider if you don't want to keep the green singers in a separate cage.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help with the pictures.
Iso

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 pm

My Green Singers always get along with all other species in the aviary.
Canaries tend to spar with each other a little in the breeding season and Whydahs like to chase others away from the treat trays sometimes - but
GS are always very compatible with other species.

Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:20 pm

Paul's Amazing Birds - Paul, I'm very happy to hear there are nice green singers out there. Last year I talked to two vendors at the Pomona Bird Mart and both of them advised me against adding a pair to my aviary, said they would be too aggressive. I then talked to a friend of mine in Germany who has been breeding and keeping finches for over 60 years and he actually had a male singer kill one of his big European bullfinches years ago.
Where did you get your pair? How long have you had them? I would still love to add a pair to my aviary.
Iso

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:54 pm

I think it possibly has to do with the size of the bird habitat for this particular species. My birds have a 60' long flight with plenty places to escape a potential aggressor. They also have a lot of food diversity
(6 types), a gigantic community bird bath, plenty of greens and over 40 nesting opportunities to keep them busy all day.
Not sure where I originally bought mine. Not a commercial breeder but keeping birds for over 30 years.
The M Whydahs are the most aggressive of them all but only for about 5 months when their tail is at its full length.
P
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Paul's Amazing Birds - Paul, the size of your aviary might be the explanation! Mine is only 16 feet long but I have some live plants and regularly switch out fresh eucalyptus branches. Lots of places to hide, climb, chew on things (my goldfinches and a hybrid parrot finch), big bird bath etc. I've also been keeping finches for a long time (since 1980 or '81) but have never had green singers. Maybe one day...
Iso

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:46 pm

Squibeetos

First picture, both are male. Second picture, left two are male and the right most is a female.