Green/Gray Singing Finch vs. Canary Volume

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Lightbulb
Pip
Pip

Green/Gray Singing Finch vs. Canary Volume

Post by Lightbulb » Thu May 09, 2019 8:39 pm

Hello All! 8)

I currently own a German Roller Canary. I'm considering adding (not in the same cage) a Green or Gray Singing Finch.

I purchased the German Roller as I prefer lower volume singing.

Can anyone tell me how a Green/Gray compares volume wise to a German Roller (or Canaries in general)?

Thank you :)

Roc
Pip
Pip

Re: Green/Gray Singing Finch vs. Canary Volume

Post by Roc » Fri May 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Hello, I have a green singer pair and the male sings so loud for such a small bird. I love it though!
Thanks!

Roc

LarksNest
Pip
Pip

Post by LarksNest » Sat May 11, 2019 7:39 am

Both Green & Gray Singers are quite a bit louder than German Rollers (love, love, LOVE Rollers!). In fact, they match the level of my American Singers and are easily heard through the closed aviary door. American Singers are pretty high on the loud scale for canaries.

Boths songs are lovely though (I actually prefer the Grey to the Green, but the Greys are shy and don't sing in my presence, only when I walk away, of course! LOL).

Is there someone you know who keeps them so you can hear their song before you bring one home?
Keeper, breeder & exhibitor of 23 species. Experienced in avian parasitology & diagnostics. Long-time member of the National Finch & Softbill Society.

Lightbulb
Pip
Pip

Post by Lightbulb » Sat May 11, 2019 9:41 pm

I’m afraid I don’t have the option to hear in person. I’ve listened plenty on YouTube, but naturally it’s hard to gauge volume level.

LarksNest
Pip
Pip

Post by LarksNest » Mon May 13, 2019 7:37 am

Bummer, Lightbulb! There's nothing like hearing them in person! Loud, clear songs for both!
Keeper, breeder & exhibitor of 23 species. Experienced in avian parasitology & diagnostics. Long-time member of the National Finch & Softbill Society.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Wed May 15, 2019 3:06 pm

I also prefer the song of the grey singer over the green one. Seems to be a little more melodious and not quite as loud. Also, I have found the green singer males to become quite territorial and at times aggressive during breeding season.
Iso