Shipping

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Raleighwheels
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Shipping

Post by Raleighwheels » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:14 am

I'm looking into providing shipping now due to not having a lot of people in my immediate area that are interested in finches. I'm thinking that shipping via USPS might be the best way. I was wondering if anyone had pictures of the inside of their shipping boxes, or any advice?

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Shipping

Post by Dave » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am

It is against Postal regulations to ship finches via USPS.

Poultry is allowed, but not finches. Some post offices will accept them and send them through. For most people shipping finches, though, it has worked well.

But the box could be booted from the system at any point along the way.

You don't have any recourse if somethings goes wrong.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Raleighwheels
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by Raleighwheels » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:19 pm

What is a good service to use? I talked to someone who shipped through Delta, but he said it was pretty expensive. On top of that, the closest airport is over an hour away from me.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:12 pm

You're lucky you have an airport that close!

I've received birds that were shipped on Delta. They have a pet service. The shipper took the birds to his airport in the morning, and I picked them up at my airport in the afternoon of the same day.

It was easier than picking up a relative at the airport!
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:47 am

Air shipping is very expensive. The cost is prohibitive considering the value of the birds you have. USPS is a non starter.

Another idea is ride sharing. The trick is to find someone going in the direction you want and have them drive the birds. Look in the 'ride sharing' listings on Craigslist. People look for passengers to help with gas costs but will sometimes take pets. You may have students coming and going to the university who could use an extra twenty for gas money. You have to be patient and hope to get reputable drivers.

I just got some Bourke lutinos and rosies that way. The trip took him about 8 hours and he charged me $30. Thats $150+ cheaper than the airlines would charge. The seller said he often ships that way. It did take a couple of weeks to find that driver.