Finch couple sharing cage without a nest?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
peemdp
Pip
Pip

Finch couple sharing cage without a nest?

Post by peemdp » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:49 am

Hello everyone!

I've had a gouldian finch couple since March that I got as a gift and so far they've gotten along very well! Recently they've been courting 2-6 times a day, with the hen showing interest and participating a lot of the times. However, I haven't added a nest to their cage since I'm not planning on breeding them right now, so here's where I get a bit confused about what to do, and I swear, I cannot find any information on this anywhere:

Would it be better for their health/sanity if I added a nest to their cage?
But, since I don't want them to breed right now, would it be worse for them if I did allow them to nest but removed the eggs (if they even go that far)?

Thanks in advance! :)

(Apologies if this isn't the correct forum section for this topic... I wasn't sure this fit into breeding since that's not exactly what I'm aiming for?)

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Finch couple sharing cage without a nest?

Post by paul-inAZ » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:13 am

What have you been feeding them? They will get into breeding mode when food is abundant and varied.
Going to an "austerity" diet of nothing but basic seeds with no extras such as veg. or egg food will help cool their hormones down. In essence this mimics the natural seasons with a lush spring/summer [breeding] season and a dry winter season.
No need to provide a nest until you want them to breed.
They will be just fine.

peemdp
Pip
Pip

Post by peemdp » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:19 am

paul-inAZ wrote: What have you been feeding them? They will get into breeding mode when food is abundant and varied.
Going to an "austerity" diet of nothing but basic seeds with no extras such as veg. or egg food will help cool their hormones down. In essence this mimics the natural seasons with a lush spring/summer [breeding] season and a dry winter season.
No need to provide a nest until you want them to breed.
They will be just fine.
Thanks for your help! I'll be waiting until next year's summer before I give them a nest then! :)

I've been giving them a basic seed mix from the pet store I purchase in bulk, along with millet sprays and egg food. Plus ground oyster and eggshells (should I include cuttlebone?). No fruits and veg since I haven't managed to get them to eat it.

Since it's summer where I live, is it ok if I keep feeding them this way and then transition to the austerity diet once the weather gets colder/wetter around October? I've read about the different diet seasons from a bunch of places and I find the more I read, the more I get confused, haha. Would you happen to know a post on here or another source where I could realiably learn how to put it into practice? I would seriously appreciate it!

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:08 pm

Cut out the millet and specially the egg food.
They need egg food when molting and it is also fed to stimulate them into breeding condition.
Basic seed mix is all they need now if you want to cool their hormones off.

If these are indoor birds trying to replicate the season outside is not very important. They can go on an 'austerity' diet until you are ready to breed them.

They are not going to pick at cuttlebone unless it is ground up.
Eggshells +/- ground up oyster shell are OK but more important when she is laying eggs. I mostly give just crushed eggshells at breeding time.

peemdp
Pip
Pip

Post by peemdp » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:15 am

paul-inAZ wrote: Cut out the millet and specially the egg food.
They need egg food when molting and it is also fed to stimulate them into breeding condition.
Basic seed mix is all they need now if you want to cool their hormones off.

If these are indoor birds trying to replicate the season outside is not very important. They can go on an 'austerity' diet until you are ready to breed them.

They are not going to pick at cuttlebone unless it is ground up.
Eggshells +/- ground up oyster shell are OK but more important when she is laying eggs. I mostly give just crushed eggshells at breeding time.
I'll be cutting down on the millet and eggfood then!
Thank you very much! :) There's just not much information around regarding keeping finch couples together when you're not planning on breeding them.