Mixing breeds

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
LinLau
Pip
Pip

Mixing breeds

Post by LinLau » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:11 am

Can I mix Budgerigars in with my Zebra Finches in the outside flight? :?:

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:57 am

Generally it isn't a good idea to mix hookbills with finches as the budgies tend to injure the smaller birds. IF you have a VERY large aviary you might get by with it... for awhile. Eventually one of the finches will be seriously injured.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:47 am

No, you can't house hookbills with finches.

alwaysfullofjoy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by alwaysfullofjoy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:26 pm

I say no as well. Hookbills should only be house with hookbills and only if they get along. Man can they leave some nasty wounds.
April, Ugly, & Monster (The Starlings)

LinLau
Pip
Pip

Re: Mixing breeds

Post by LinLau » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:08 am

Thanks a lots folks, that what I thought but I needed to be sure. Cheers :lol:

MadHatter
Nestling
Nestling

Post by MadHatter » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:31 pm

Sally H wrote:No, you can't house hookbills with finches.
While this is certainly a good rule of thumb, there are exceptions to the rule.
Before I continue, I should point out that these exceptions only apply to aviaries of approx 12 square feet in size (floor space) or larger. Generally speaking, the larger the aviary, the further you can bend the rules.

Probably the most popular group of parrots for inclusion in a mixed collection are the members of the Neophema and Neopsephotus genuses, ie; Scarlet-chested (Splendid) Blue-winged, Elegant, Turqoise, and Bourke's Parrots(Parrakeets)
Other suitable species include the smaller species of lorikeets (I like to call them "micro-lorikeets") of the species' Glossopsitta and Psitteuteles;- Little, Purple-crowned and Varied Lorikeets.
There may be other suitable species of small lorikeets available outside Australia which I am unfamiliar with...
I imagine most Fig-parrots would likely also be suitable.
The only exotic (to me - ie: non-Australian) species I can think of that is generally considered suitable for inclusion in a mixed collection is the Plum-headed Parrot. I imagine other small members of the Psittacula genus (such as the Slaty-headed) may also be suitable.
In particularly large aviaries, members of the Polytelis Genus (Superb, Regent, and Princess Parrots) and the 'blue' members of the Psephotus (Hooded and Golden-shouldered Parrots) are also a possibility.

N.B. These species are GENERALLY considered suitable for inclusion in a mixed collection - Unusually aggressive individuals do occur, and accidents do happen. These species are usually inofensive, but they are larger and more powerful than the finches and are therefore capable of harming them either by accident or, on rare occasions, deliberately.

As a rule, the more variety you add the more potential for mishap you also add. Mix at your own risk. This applies as much to mixing diferent species of finches as it does to mixing diferent taxa.

P.S.
I am done typing for now, but if there is enough interest, I will draw up a list of doves + other species that are suitable for inclusion in a mixed collection...

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:47 pm

When you have time, I'd love to see the list. Thanks! Hilary

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:02 am

My sis-in-law, who got me started in bird keeping, once kept a cockatiel with zebs and societies in a medium sized flight cage. The tiel was a rescued bird and she lucked out in that it was a passive bird. I believe she housed the tiel in the flight for about six months before finding it a new home.

So it is possible, just not recommened as a rule.

I think you must also consider the requirements of finches and hookbills and whether both can be met in a single cage/flight/avairy.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:37 pm

I just keep hearing stories about the hookbills "playing" with the little guys, with the result being a lot of one-legged little guys..... Hilary

MadHatter
Nestling
Nestling

Post by MadHatter » Wed May 24, 2006 7:18 am

MadHatter wrote: if there is enough interest, I will draw up a list of doves + other species that are suitable for inclusion in a mixed collection...
Ooh crumbs!
I nearly forgot I said I would do this!
Ok here it is, Part 2: The Rest.

Disclaimer:

Once again, I should point out that these suggestions "only apply in aviaries of approx 12 square feet in size (floor space) or larger. Generally speaking, the larger the aviary, the further you can bend the rules."

Pigeons and Doves:
There is no taxonomic difference between Pigeons and Doves, and the names are used interchangeably. Generally speaking, 'Dove' is reserved for the smaller members of the group, and 'Pigeon' for larger members. As those species that are sutable for mixing with finches tend to be the smaller members of the group I will stick with the generic term 'Dove(s)' except where referring to specific species.
There are many species of small doves suitable for a mixed collection with finches. Here in Australia we have access to very few species from overseas, so I can only speak to those species that I have personal knowledge of. For those of you in the US/UK, you may have access to species unknown here. As a rule of thumb, doves tend to be fairly inoffensive/unagressive. Thus any species who's adult size is about the same as a Budgerigar or Psephotus parrot should generally be suitable.
Such species include the Australian Geopelia genus - the Diamond Dove, G. Cuneata, and Peaceful (Zebra) Dove, G. striata - the African Masked (Namaqua) Dove, Oena capensis, and the Talpacotti (Ruddy Ground) Dove, Columbina talpacotti, from the americas. I have read of an African species commonly called the Tambourine Dove, Turtur tympanistria, that is also suitable, but these aren't available here in Australia, so I cannot comment any further on them.
The largely terrestrial (ground dwelling) Spinifex Pigeon, Geophaps plumifera, may also be suitable for a mixed collection, however this species is very territorial. For this reason, it should not be housed with small quail, and some individuals may harrass ground-foraging/nesting finch species.
The smaller species of Fruit-Doves are also popular in a mixed collection. Here in Australia the most common of these are the Rose-Crowned Fruit-Dove, Ptilinopus regina, and the Superb (Purple-Crowned) Fruit-Dove, Ptilinopus superbus, other species may be more readily available elsewhere.

True Quail and Button-Quail:

While taxonomically unrelated, I have grouped these together as they are physiologically and behaviorally very similar.
Undoubtedly one of the most popular of the true Quail in captivity and certainly the most popular for a mixed collection is the King Quail, Coturnix chinensis, other suitable species include the Brown Quail, C. ypsilophora, and Stubble Quail, C. pectoralis. Most other true quail species that I am aware of are unsuitably large, and some species such as Bob-White Quail, Colinus virginianus, and California Quail, Callipepla californica, regularly perch up off the ground and thus are prone to crushing finch nests. As before, readers outside Australia may have access to species that I could only dream of, so here is a rule of thumb when considering species not listed here: they should be no larger than a softball when full grown, unagressive and be entirely terrestrial in their habits.
As for the Button-Quail, it is my understanding that this group is entirely restricted to Australasia, and thus are likely more common in our aviaries than overseas. All Button-Quail belong to the Genus Turnix and all are suitable for inclusion in a mixed collection. Three of the most commonly held species are the Painted Button-Quail, T. varia, the Black-Breasted Button-Quail, T. melanogaster, and the Little Button-Quail T. Velox.

Softbills:

The Catch-all name "Softbill" covers one of the largest and most varied groups of birds in aviculture. In essence the term is used to refer to any species that does not rely on seed for the bulk of it's diet, and so can be applied to anything from a tiny hummingbird to a huge albatross. Naturally it is not within the scope of this post to dicuss them all, and this is further complicated by the immense variation of species available in different parts of the world. What is quite common in the US may be extremely rare in the UK, and entirely unheard of in Australia - or any other combination or permutation of the above! Any softbill that is to be considered for inclusion in a mixed collection should be non-agressive and gernearally no larger than a Budgie or Psephotus parrot. That said, there are still a few groups or species that are common enough to be worth mentioning. Easily some of the best softbills for a mixed collection with finches are the White-Eyes of the Genus Zosterops. These tiny, charming creatures are relatively easy to cater for as they will eat almost anything - nectar, fruit, live food, soft food and i have even seen one eat seed when no other food was made available to it (Definately NOT reccomended) In Australia we are able to keep our own indigenous species, the Silvereye, Zosterops lateralis, elsewhere I understand the Indian White-Eye, Zosterops palpebrosa, is relatively obtainable. Other species that are kept here in Australia that I know are safe for inclusion in a mixed collection and are also available(or for which close relatives are available) overseas include: the Pekin Robin, Leiothrix lutea, White-Eared Mesia, Leiothrix argentauris, and Red-Whiskered Bul-Bul, Pycnonotus jocosus. There are undoubtedly many, many more. A word of caution though - many of these species are capable of taking quite large items of live food, and if not supplied with a suficiently varied diet, they may resort to supplementing their diet with the eggs and small chicks of your finches. These softbills are best suited to a mixed collection housed in a spacious, well-planted aviary.

So that's basically it. Undoubtedly I have skimmed over, or missed entirely, many species. If you have concerns or questions regarding specific species, please ask. I would be very interested to hear about you own experiences too.
Also, regarding sofbills especially, what species are available in you part of the world and how commonly available are they? What information is available regarding their suitability for inclusion in a mixed collection with finches? I am particularly interested in things like sunbirds, hummingbirds, Chloropsis Tanagers, etc.
For that matter if you know of any parrots, doves, quail or anything else that could be added to the list, do chime in.