Same sex pair!

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
d.markva@yahoo.com
Pip
Pip

Same sex pair!

Post by d.markva@yahoo.com » Mon May 14, 2007 1:08 pm

My family purchased a pair of zebra finches for me for mother's day. Oh, oh, it looks like they are both males! Will they be okay or do they need male/female companionship to survive well? I know zebras are prolific breeders so I am wondering if they will have a problem because they cannot and whether this will make one (or both!) of the males aggressive?

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Mon May 14, 2007 2:05 pm

Two males will be fine together; actually they are more likely to fight if you introduce females into the mix. 2 males can be seen as ideal because you never have to worry about eggs or egg binding, the birds are more colorful, and they sing.

Enjoy your mothers day gift!

Rue
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Rue » Mon May 14, 2007 6:46 pm

Ditto!

All we have is males! I had no interest in breeding (although I'm thinking about it...but with other birds)...just wanted to enjoy the finches and the flock behaviour...

We have 7 males, 6 different species... :D
A bird in the hand...requires some serious washing up...

d.markva@yahoo.com
Pip
Pip

same sex pair

Post by d.markva@yahoo.com » Mon May 14, 2007 8:36 pm

Oh, that's great to know. The woman at the shop sold my son and husband a nest with the birds. The birds both sleep in it at night so I guess that's okay. I was worried they might fight over it. They have lined it with some grass seedlings that my son brought in from the woods (where we were sure there'd be no pesticides!)

StevePax
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by StevePax » Tue May 15, 2007 9:15 am

Yeah, your male zebras will simply be "partners" for life, and they'll be just fine. They'll enjoy the nest, and you won't have to worry about young'uns.