Idea for Mods - Glossary of Terms

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
WeimerHeimer
Pip
Pip

Idea for Mods - Glossary of Terms

Post by WeimerHeimer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 am

Would the Mods on here please consider adding some sort of "Glossary of Terms" some were on here?

I'm thinking it would be great for new folks just getting into keeping and/or breeding Finches.
There are so many abbreviations thrown around here and unless you know what they are it can be hard to interpret at times. (i.e. SF/FF .... Single Factor/Florida Fancy, RCCB ..... Red Cheek Cordon Blue, etc.....)

So, anyone else like this idea?
Zebras, Gouldians, Cordon Bleu's, Waxbills, Java Rice, Societies, Shaft-tails, Orange Weavers, Canaries, Conure, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, & Goffin Cockatoo.

"HEIMER"
I'm a manly man that stands 6'-2" at 287 lbs and I like "Little Finches"!
............. You gotta problem with that?

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Re: Idea for Mods - Glossary of Terms

Post by B CAMP » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:02 am

Sounds like a good idea to me :)
Bill

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:20 pm

I agree! =D> Some of the terms and abbreviations are way over my head... :)

It should be a table/list where everybody can contribute, though. It's a bit much too ask of the moderators to create and maintain such a list on their own.
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:04 pm

It should be a table/list where everybody can contribute, though. It's a bit much too ask of the moderators to create and maintain such a list on their own.
And then the problem will be agreeing on which terms to use, which are right and which are wrong. :?
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

WeimerHeimer
Pip
Pip

Post by WeimerHeimer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Well, at least I see there are some other folks out there that think the same thing.

I only suggested that the Mod(s) would do it, so that it can be done "orderly" and without any redundant terms being added. I think EVERYONE needs to contribute by forwarding their "Terms", but only one person should hold the Key to the data base.

As far as being "correct" on some/certain Terms, well, we all have to think of it as "work In Progress". I'm sure some Terms might have more than one meaning, might be incorrect at one time or another, BUT it's a start and by far better than we have now, which is nothing at all.

Keep the ideas coming, please! :idea: This is how ideas and things get started. :idea:
Zebras, Gouldians, Cordon Bleu's, Waxbills, Java Rice, Societies, Shaft-tails, Orange Weavers, Canaries, Conure, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, & Goffin Cockatoo.

"HEIMER"
I'm a manly man that stands 6'-2" at 287 lbs and I like "Little Finches"!
............. You gotta problem with that?

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:41 pm

WeimerHeimer wrote:As far as being "correct" on some/certain Terms, well, we all have to think of it as "work In Progress". I'm sure some Terms might have more than one meaning, might be incorrect at one time or another, BUT it's a start and by far better than we have now, which is nothing at all.
I agree! There's no "right" or "wrong"... We're mostly talking about abbreviations or terms here, not exact definitions. And if one abbreviation or term ends up having different meaning for different people it should be added to the list multiple times.
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:35 pm

I rarely use abbreviations on here...Reading some kids text messages I think I'm from another planet.. :D You Americans with your abbreviated names for States can leave us foreigners lost. :?

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Sorry, "right" or "wrong" was a poor choice of words. It's just that I've read many heated posts (all over the internet) over what to call different mutations. Certainly not going to be an easy task to cover them all, especially when you include all the different species.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:50 pm

I think it's a fantastic idea. A newbie might look at OH WB YB and go WHAT?!? Even if the terms on the glossary are not technically correct, I find that most forum users here use the same abbreviations, therefore we should put what we feel is most frequently used.
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm not opposed to this but with the many, many abbreviations and acronyms being used these days. I don't think too many people would stop several times during the reading of posts to actually go and look up each shortform. They'd probably find it quicker to post a question asking: What is an OH, PB, GB? Or, what is a Soc? What is a SF/FF? I would.

And everyone is perfectly happy to answer them anytime. I would.

Just my personal thoughts.
Liz

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm good either way. If I don't understand I usually just move on, most times though it is with the messenger lingo :roll:

Just thought I would mention I just love the signature line from WeimerHeimer, absolutely adorable =D>
And no I don't have a problem with it!
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:54 am

There are probably a lot of people who don't ask what an abbreviation means because they fear they will look ignorant. No matter what way you put it, a glossary of terms is better than no glossary of terms. :lol:
Last edited by Domenic on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by ikhom » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:23 pm

I agree with Domenic- it is good to add glossary to help new members to understand all the terminology we use. It took me a while before I'd stared to read freely about Gouldians. There are so many ways to say the same things.
However, I'm not sure about the ways of implementing it. New MOD could be too much work for Crystal.
Manage your birds at finchbreederdatabase.com

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:38 pm

ikhom wrote:I agree with Domenic- it is good to add glossary to help new members to understand all the terminology we use. It took me a while before I'd stared to read freely about Gouldians. There are so many ways to say the same things.
However, I'm not sure about the ways of implementing it. New MOD could be too much work for Crystal.
I vote for new technical Mod.... I nominate ikhom and Domenic for new tech Mod =D>
We need to incorporate technical supports to improve the site, I agree that people will probably argue over the 'right' terms but they can be dealt with just like they are dealt with in all other post. Warned, ignored or cattered to :lol:

I didn't have a clue what a Fid was....... I figured it out to be feathered kid.... Hubby argues and says it's feathered finch (he is wrong :wink: ) And ACV really threw me, though I happen to use apple cider vinager all the time....and ASM... thought that was something kinky until I figured out it was air sac mites :oops: I am for a glossary with someone in control. Just like the posting of the calendar.... have a place where people can post their term and then the MOD would place it appropriately.

ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by ikhom » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Thanks for the trust Candace. There are glossary MODs already available, like Lexicon / Acronym MOD , but each MOD comes with bugs that need to be fixed and we've still not fixed Phoogle Map and I posted instruction long long time ago.
Manage your birds at finchbreederdatabase.com