Idea for Mods - Glossary of Terms

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Idea for Mods - Glossary of Terms

Post by Domenic » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:36 pm

No offense to Crystal, she's made one of the best finch websites in existence, but I wish there was a mod who was a bit more present. There's a lot of great additions that could be implemented on this site, but with a busy administrator it takes months to get done.. :(
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:48 am

lovemyfinch wrote:Just thought I would mention I just love the signature line from WeimerHeimer, absolutely adorable =D>
And no I don't have a problem with it!
I didn't even notice it! :lol: =D> =D> =D>

And Weimerheimer, I'm sure this description makes you all the more attractive to certain females (like me!)... :wink:
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:57 am

I could probably make a sticky as a start. Where does everyone think it would fit best--under General Questions, Introductions, ???

I am absolutely swamped right now, so bear with me, but I'm sure it would help. When I was a newbie, I didn't want to show my ignorance by asking what some of the abbreviations meant--I finally figured some of them out, but then I also realized that we all started out knowing next to nothing about our fids. As I've said many times before, there is no such thing as a stupid or dumb question--we all learn from each other.

And one of you Gouldian people would have to jump in with all those LG abbreviations--I still don't know what all of them mean!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Sally and I have fought this out (kidding) and I will create and maintain the 'sticky' for this. \:D/

So whenever you want to start shooting your short forms, acronyms and abbreviations to me. I'll be working on it and will have something cooked up by the end of this week. [-o< :lol:
Liz

WeimerHeimer
Pip
Pip

Post by WeimerHeimer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:14 pm

First, THANK YOU, Moderators and Owners of this Forum so very much for listening to me. Yes, a Newby, who only has been on this Forum for less than two weeks. I brought this whole idea up as my wife & I just got back into keeping Finches recently. We had Finches 24 years ago and loved it, but as with most young couples, things like starting a family, buying a house, full time careers, etc.... took us away from this hobby for both financial and time reasons.

Now, 24 year later, the kids are grown and "we" as a couple have more time on our hand to get back to doing something we loved so many years ago. When we started researching things on the internet as to Finches, types, supplies, cages, etc... we found out these "new terms" we never remember really having to deal with 24 years ago. So, I threw out the idea about the Glossary.

So, thanks again for hearing me out on this Topic. Now, it's EVERYONE'S turn to help out and do your part. All of us need to be patient as this will be a pretty big undertaking, but I think in the end will beefit this Community of Finch Lovers.

Thanks So Much!
Zebras, Gouldians, Cordon Bleu's, Waxbills, Java Rice, Societies, Shaft-tails, Orange Weavers, Canaries, Conure, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, & Goffin Cockatoo.

"HEIMER"
I'm a manly man that stands 6'-2" at 287 lbs and I like "Little Finches"!
............. You gotta problem with that?

ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by ikhom » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Today I tried Lexicon MOD for phpBB3 and it didn't work for me. :cry: It has the potential, but is likely require a lot of modification. Possible something simpler can work for this site, #-o but still it all depends of Crystal and her ideas. I can help in development and debugging of MOD.
Manage your birds at finchbreederdatabase.com

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:12 pm

Ikhom - I don't understand what you are describing. I was going to list all the abbreviations/acronyms/short forms (relating only to finches) that people send to me, in one posting and make it alphabetical, such as:

ASM - Air Sac Mites
FID - Feathered Kids
GS - Green Singer Finch
LG - Lady Gouldian Finch
MOD - Moderator of Website
RH,PB,BB - Red head, Purple breast, Blue back
RH,WB,BB - Red head, White breast, Blue back
SF,FF - Single Factor, Florida Fancy
Soc - Society Finch
Zeb - Zebra Finch
Zebbie - Zebra Finch

Etcetera...
Liz

ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by ikhom » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:19 pm

L in Ontario wrote:Ikhom - I don't understand what you are describing. I was going to list all the abbreviations/acronyms/short forms (relating only to finches) that people send to me, in one posting and make it alphabetical, such as:
No, it is a great way too. I was concerned that it could get very long and difficult to manage. It could be done search friendly.

ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by ikhom » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 am

Liz, I was talking about this kind of Glossary. I managed to make it work after some changes to the code. This way moderator or administrator can edit each entry individually. I can give you access to try to enter data, but you have to register with ikhom.com first.

MOD is a modification for phpBB3 not a moderator #-o, no wonder that we don't understand each other.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:13 am

Hahaha! Yep, no wonder! :lol:

That does look cool and user friendly in that you just select the first letter of the acronym you want to look up!

I think Hilary will have to contact Crystal to see if we can get it installed herein first. Is it a freebie software? I know nothing about that kind of 'stuff'. :? But I'd be happy to work on it. :mrgreen:
Liz

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:59 pm

ikhom wrote:Liz, I was talking about this kind of Glossary.
That looks nice!! =D>
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by ikhom » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:07 pm

L in Ontario wrote:... Is it a freebie software? I know nothing about that kind of 'stuff'. :? But I'd be happy to work on it. :mrgreen:
It is Lexicon / Acronym MOD and it is free, but it has bugs. I had to fix language problem and sid (session id) before I published it. It has only ACP control without new permissions=only admin can manage it, but I'm sure I can fix it.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Ikhom,
I admire you knowledge and the willingness to share it :D

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire