New Post Flag

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

New Post Flag

Post by Sally » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 am

Is anyone else having trouble with the 'new post' flag? When I first log on, there will be some orange 'new post' flags showing up. Once I have read one or two posts, all of a sudden, all the flags are white, even though there are posts I haven't read yet. Don't know if it's just a glitch in my computer.

Hoji
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Hoji » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:07 am

Me too - wow! I thought it was something I was doing. Those flags are such a great help since I stay checked-in and read alittle here and alittle there all day at work (no computer access at home yet). I hope it can be fixed!

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:07 am

Sorry for the inconvenience of those flags going white!

Does this occur about an hour or more after you first log in? Also, has this always been a problem, or did it just start happening within the past few days?

I suspect it is related to a cookie problem; the only cookie I can control is the login cookie (which was set to automatically expire and log a person out after 1 hour). I have just now changed this cookie to allow people to remain logged in for 12 hours--this should be sufficient to cover a work day etc. I don't know that this will fix anything, but we'll see. You may need to log out, delete all your cookies (usually from a tools -> internet options -> delete cookies area in your browser), and then log back in to see any difference. Let me know if you experience any further problems!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:02 pm

Thanks, Crystal, it seems to be fixed now. Mine was doing it shortly after I got to the site (I never actually log out), or as soon as I posted something. Was an annoyance, as I had to look at dates and times posted to see if there was something new.

I forgot to add that mine started about a week ago, too.
Last edited by Sally on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoji
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Hoji » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:51 pm

Mine is working now too. it was a new problem for me, just started last week. Thank you for quick fix 8)

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:49 pm

I've just had a similar problem.

Except the new posts that I had just read, were suddenly all orange again.

Even a few that I had read back on Monday were flagged as unread. :?
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:17 pm

Mine started doing it again, but sometimes it works fine, then it won't the next time. I just look to see when I last visited, so anything after that date/time is new. I tried changing cookies (don't exactly know what I am doing, I still think a cookie is something you eat!). Today it is working again, so who knows.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:52 am

Hmm! I can try setting the auto-logout time back to 1 hour and adjusting some other things to hopefully keep the flags alive *when they are supposed to be* instead of intermittently. Thanks for alerting me to the problem... I'll let you know when I've made the changes and hopefully it will finally be fixed for good!!

Sorry about that!

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:03 am

Okay! I have instituted another change and *now* (if everything is working) you should only see orange flags when you really haven't read a topic yet AND the flags should stay orange even if you log out and back in again. IF you read a topic the flag will no longer be orange AND it will not show up (even with a white flag) in the "view unread posts" list.

Hopefully!! this will work and not cause any other problems... it conflicted a little with the 'save posts as drafts' modification, but I think I figured out a work-around so the drafts should still work. If you notice any problems with the flags, drafts, or any other part of the forum (e.g. if Tammie or Hilary splits and moves a topic that you haven't read yet and it does not show up with an orange flag) let me know and I'll see if I have to make any more changes...

Phew!

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:13 pm

It worked correctly for me the whole time :)