I still don't know... after 5 years!

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Re: I still don't know... after 5 years!

Post by L in Ontario » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:32 pm

OH! Isn't that marvelous! So the [*] means the list will be bulleted and the List= will be numbers if you tell it what number to start at.

Thanks Mary! I'm now going to go and edit my lists on the Great Canadian Finch Reunion. :lol:
Liz

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:16 am

Thanks for posting this, I never knew either what all those little boxes meant!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 am

LOL never been brave enough to show my ignorance and ask what those were and how to use them! Thanks Mary for enlightening us.

FeatherHarp

Post by FeatherHarp » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:08 am

Way cool.....glad we got that figured out. :lol:

Another confession here......for the longest time I didn't know what the little black dots on the far left on the circles meant for a long time either. And that the little white square on the far right took you to the last posting...I was always scrolling down. #-o :mrgreen:

I am so much more enlightened now with the help of you guys. \:D/

Is this thread considered a 'confessional'? Where is the privacy curtain? :oops: :lol:

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:21 am

I just now figured out how to not scroll down :oops: Thanks Deborah =D>
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:49 am

Okay, that one I did know - the go to last post button. It's all I ever use to read a thread, then I work I way back up if I need to. :lol:

Isn't it funny that we are all so enamoured with our finches that we don't bother to get familiar with the workings of this website! :oops: The basics will do in a pinch - then off to our birds we go! :mrgreen:

I also don't know what: do not automatically "parse URLs" is all about (below this message box). What is parsing URL's?

And why would a person want to: "Disable BBCode"? What is a BBCode?
Liz

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:44 am

OK, as long as we are all confessing, at the top of the thread, it has 'subscribe to this topic' and 'bookmark this topic'. Don't know what those mean, or how they work. I thought I was really getting good with the computer when I figured out how to add smilies to my post! :oops:
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:28 am

FeatherHarp wrote:Way cool.....glad we got that figured out. :lol:

Another confession here......for the longest time I didn't know what the little black dots on the far left on the circles meant for a long time either.
Are you saying you DO know what the little black dots are all about? SHARE the knowledge! =D>
Liz

FeatherHarp

Post by FeatherHarp » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 am

Oops! Sorry bout that.

The black dots indicate what posts you have previously posted or replied to. So when you log in you can check those posts for replies. Being this forum is so active and lots of postings going on it sure is helpful to have that feature.....especially for "those of you" who do a lot of postings.....right Liz? :lol:

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:25 am

FeatherHarp wrote:The black dots indicate what posts you have previously posted or replied to. So when you log in you can check those posts for replies. Being this forum is so active and lots of postings going on it sure is helpful to have that feature.....especially for "those of you" who do a lot of postings.....right Liz? :lol:
I've have NO idea what you mean! #-o 8)

Now I'm going to feed bad for posting so often. :(
Liz

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:34 am

L in Ontario wrote:
FeatherHarp wrote:The black dots indicate what posts you have previously posted or replied to. So when you log in you can check those posts for replies. Being this forum is so active and lots of postings going on it sure is helpful to have that feature.....especially for "those of you" who do a lot of postings.....right Liz? :lol:
I've have NO idea what you mean! #-o 8)

I don't know why you would be feeling bad :? I have 3 years less than you and appear to be catching up :oops:
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

FeatherHarp

Post by FeatherHarp » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:43 am

L in Ontario wrote:I've have NO idea what you mean! #-o 8)

Dear Liz....I didn't mean to make you feel bad. :oops:

Those of you who are frequent posters are the ones with the most helpful knowledge and have graciously taken the time to educate and encourage the rest of us on our finch journey.

All those black dots you see are a "Badge of Honor" in my humble opinion. =D>

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:49 am

FeatherHarp wrote:

All those black dots you see are a "Badge of Honor" in my humble opinion. =D>
That's an awesome comeback Deborah! :lol: :lol: :lol: And no problem really - I don't feel bad... I just have a spare minute or two. :shock:
Liz

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:06 am

Sally
The 'subscribe to this topic' I think the forum will notify you of reply to thread even if you haven't made a post in said thread

If you have made a post in the thread it will say 'unsubscribe to this topic' if you don't want to watch thread anymore just click and you won't be notified of future post in thread

Look in your control panel under Manage subscriptions
it will show all the threads you have replyed to on the right you can check the box not to watch this topic
Bill

MRobinson
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by MRobinson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:38 pm

I also don't know what: do not automatically "parse URLs" is all about (below this message box). What is parsing URL's?
URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator. A URL identifies a particular Internet resource: a Web page, a gopher server, a library catalog, an image, or a text file. It's the address of a resource and can tell you a lot about that resource. Example: http://www.finchinfo.com

Sometimes variables or additional information is added to urls (like when you fill out an online form - each field on the form is added to the URL when it's sent to the server. That's how the information is transmitted.)

Parsing is taking a long URL and breaking it down in to individual parts for analysis. An example would be the form you filled in. The info is attached to a URL and sent to the server and then it is parsed to break up the parts so the information can then be extracted (i.e. so the person recieving the form can see what was filled out)

Typically a user would not have anything to do with this. If there is an error in the programming that makes the forum work, parsing urls might help the troubleshooters find the error to fix it.
And why would a person want to: "Disable BBCode"? What is a BBCode?
BBCode = Bulletin Board Code - it's the coding that we talked about before that allows words to be bolded or quoted, etc.
HTML = Hypertext Markup Lantuage - it's the coding that is used on websites and web pages.

All they are is different ways to code things for the effects you want. Some people are more familiar with HTML so they might want to disable BBCode and use HTML instead. BBCode is the default on this bulletin board and is the coding I defined earlier.
at the top of the thread, it has 'subscribe to this topic' and 'bookmark this topic'. Don't know what those mean, or how they work.
Subscribe means you want an email notification every time someone response to that post
Bookmark means you want that post added to your Favorites/Bookmarks so you can go straight to it from your Favorites/Bookmarks list.

Does this help?

Mary R.
Mary R.
1 Chocolate Pied Society (Patches)
1 Fawn Crested Pied Society (Nutmeg)
3 Blue Capped Cordon Bleu (Belle, Caruso and one fuzzy baby)