POLL Time re Species Forum!!

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.

Species - all together in one forum or split into various types of finches?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:05 am

Keep the Species Forum split as it is currently (no changes)
39%
Go back to the old set up of everything mixed together
41%
Make some MINOR changes to the current set up (ie put common names in front of scientific names).
20%

Total votes: 44

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: POLL Time re Species Forum!!

Post by CandoAviary » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:01 pm

L in Ontario wrote: Things that other people post/say often interest me even if I don't have those birds. I still pick up great ideas and tips in just about all other areas of the forum.
Same here...I read just about everthing...it is amazing how much I can learn from other keepers...even if it isn't the same species as I keep...
I have even learned about dart frogs this week :wink:
I voted and really appreciate all the work you put into the species list, Liz.... now if you could add a sound bite so I could learn to pronouce those latin names properly :lol:

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:01 pm

L in Ontario wrote:Things that other people post/say often interest me even if I don't have those birds. I still pick up great ideas and tips in just about all other areas of the forum.
Same here. I try and read everything. It is amazing how much I learn from other keepers...even if it isn't a species I currently keep, I can usually apply the info somehow. I even learned about dart frogs this week :wink:
I voted and really appreciate all the time and effort you put into the species list, Liz. Now if you could add a sound bite so I could learn the proper pronunctiation of the latin names :lol:

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:27 pm

CandoAviary wrote:
L in Ontario wrote:Things that other people post/say often interest me even if I don't have those birds. I still pick up great ideas and tips in just about all other areas of the forum.
Same here. I try and read everything. It is amazing how much I learn from other keepers...even if it isn't a species I currently keep, I can usually apply the info somehow. I even learned about dart frogs this week :wink:
I voted and really appreciate all the time and effort you put into the species list, Liz. Now if you could add a sound bite so I could learn the proper pronunctiation of the latin names :lol:
Thank you Candace!

If you Google the Latin names (copy/paste) you can usually find pronunciation vocalizations. Otherwise, just pronounce them as you feel most comfortable. Some can be tongue twisters!
Liz

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:55 pm

I must admit that in the beginning I thought that the page looked sort of`busy. But now I have really begun to like it :D
The only thing that I might do is remove the species from the list that have 0 or only 1 or 2 posts, put them in an Other species category.

Any questions that are being asked generally regarding the differences between species could be placed in the old category.

Does that make any sense to anyone :?
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

Finchgirl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Finchgirl » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:17 am

I love the "active topics and unanswered topics buttons!" (also view your posts! Couldn't live without that one! :lol: ) I think the site needs to keep the mini species forums too, but I think that with the species clumped into around five or six, instead of 20 (give or take a few) groups the site will be eaisier to maneuver. Some people only have experience in one area, so that will make it eaier to navigate the site if that is your situation.
Love my 2 dogs, 4 cats,adorable rabbit,Fire-Bellied Toad,goldfish,black mystery snails,and tetra guppy

wish list:two little zebies!Image

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:18 am

24 hours left to get your vote in on this poll!! I really didn't think it would be this close in voting numbers. Very interesting.
Liz

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:45 pm

Only 12 hours left to vote. Has everyone voted that wants to voice an opinion?
Liz

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:53 pm

I already voted, but as I read the posts, I wanted to add a comment. I sometimes cannot find my old posts and try to look where I posted, but then cannot find them or find one I read a week ago. Is there a way to find a certain post that will allow us to put a phrase or key word in the search and it will search all posts? I tried to the current search and cannot get what I am looking for, but I know I read it last week, for example. Otherwise, I am navigating well and learning the subspecies names and where my finches fit into the scientific names. For example, it took me a while to realize my Lavenders were waxbills because they are so much bigger than any other waxbills I own. Whatever way the forum sets up, we'll all adjust and learn our way around because this place is just so helpful and has valuable information for all of us. Thank you very much!
DEBORAH

wellingtoncdm

Post by wellingtoncdm » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:13 pm

If it's a tie will you give us a tie breaker vote with only two options?
A: Going back
B: Keeping it
Thoughts on that?

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:22 am

Okay - time's up and thankfully we don't need a tie breaker. You've all voiced your opinions and cast your votes - thank you very much.

We will be going back to having ONE Species forum with all the varieties together in one forum as they were before.

Many thanks for your enthusiasm for this topic and your cooperation.
Liz

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:36 am

All the various finch forums have been deleted and the posts have all been moved into the Species forum per the results of the poll. It sure was a close one right up to the last minute! =D>
Liz