POLL Time re Species Forum!!

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.

Species - all together in one forum or split into various types of finches?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:05 am

Keep the Species Forum split as it is currently (no changes)
39%
Go back to the old set up of everything mixed together
41%
Make some MINOR changes to the current set up (ie put common names in front of scientific names).
20%

Total votes: 44

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

POLL Time re Species Forum!!

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:05 am

Okay folks, here we go. As promised here is the poll where YOU need to vote and have your say in how the Species Forum should be seen. This poll will close on Monday August 29th and we'll take it from there as to whether we keep things as they currently are, make a few changes or go back to the original layout.

It will be up to the majority and after the poll is closed... no grumbling.
Liz

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: POLL Time re Species Forum!!

Post by finchmix22 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:46 pm

I like the set up, but I do have some trouble finding posts I want to follow up with because I do not remember where I posted or read something. I think a smaller range would help, but I also like learning about species I do not own...yet. LOL
DEBORAH

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:20 pm

I didn't think I would like the new layout, and I usually hate scientific names (I'm the same with plants--much prefer the easier common name rather than the tongue-tangling scientific names). However, I'm starting to learn them, and I can just seek out posts in the species in which I have an interest.

The only drawback I can see to modifying the list and using common names first, followed by scientific names, is that the list will get a lot longer. For example, Estrilda covers most waxbills, using common names would require separate subforums for Lavender, OCW, St. Helena's, etc--there are a lot of waxbills! Of course, we could still combine them, just titling the subforum Most Waxbills, or Waxbills (most) to keep it in alphabetical order.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:53 pm

I've been busy as of late, so I'm unable to visit and post as I used to. However, I voted to go back to the old system. I believe in keeping things simple and live by the K.I.S.S rule. While I think it's wonderful to learn about the proper scientific latin names, the new system is much too complex and I believe it does a great injustice to the previous mélange and matching of different species we previously had. The only way I read posts now is by clicking the "View Active Topics" button and clicking through only the recent threads. I like what the Finch Forum is trying do -- but this new set-up is more work for the users and the moderators in which they would need to properly moderate and watch over. Just my two cents.
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~

nelloyello11
Weaning
Weaning

Post by nelloyello11 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:59 pm

I think the only issue I have with the current layout, is that sometimes, I'm not sure where to post... In the individual species subforum, or say the breeding forum The question I have may be about zebras, but if it's a zebra breeding topic, where is it more appropriate to post? If it were possible to cross-list in a species subforum and another forum.... But that would get too complicated I think... #-o
Nelissa
1 NG (Peter), 2 SF/FF (Astrid & Nina) and 2 BC (Desmond & Penelope) Zebra finches
2 Owl Finches (Hedwig & Fawkes)
Painted turtle (Keeker)

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:20 pm

So far, the votes are almost even for the three categories. Maybe the moderators need to decide based on ease of use and their ability to monitor posts.??
DEBORAH

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:18 am

Surprised only 19 people voted :?
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

nelloyello11
Weaning
Weaning

Post by nelloyello11 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:16 pm

debbie276 wrote:Surprised only 19 people voted :?
Maybe the topic should be bumped a few times between now and the end of voting so more people will see it :?: :?:
Nelissa
1 NG (Peter), 2 SF/FF (Astrid & Nina) and 2 BC (Desmond & Penelope) Zebra finches
2 Owl Finches (Hedwig & Fawkes)
Painted turtle (Keeker)

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:37 pm

I voted! :lol: I didn't realize the poll was up until I saw Sally's post.
Thanks for all the efforts to make everyone happy!!! :lol:
Donna

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:44 pm

I think the three way polling split is somewhat confusing -- because if you add the votes of the "keep the species" or "keep the species but minor changes" they amount to more people wanting to keep the species tabs than people wanting to change it back to the old way.

So... right now it's 59% who like the new set up to 41% who want it back the way it was.

Am I interpreting this correctly or how will it be interpreted?
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:15 pm

That's funny, I interpreted it as 2 groups were unhappy with the new sub-forums (put it back or make changes) opposed to 1 group happy with it (leave it be). :D
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:35 pm

:lol: I guess that proves its confusing to at least me and you!
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:04 am

debbie276 wrote:That's funny, I interpreted it as 2 groups were unhappy with the new sub-forums (put it back or make changes) opposed to 1 group happy with it (leave it be). :D
I interpreted it similarily to your interpretation. :wink: #-o
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:03 pm

I had no clue the vote even started. I never go to site related and by the lack of votes obviously a lot of others don't either. I bet most don't even know the vote started.
People Are The Ultimate Spectacle!
JohnBoy

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:03 pm

JohnBoy wrote:I had no clue the vote even started. I never go to site related and by the lack of votes obviously a lot of others don't either. I bet most don't even know the vote started.
That's why I like to click on "View New Posts" rather than just going to the same particular areas or species I have. Things that other people post/say often interest me even if I don't have those birds. I still pick up great ideas and tips in just about all other areas of the forum.
Liz