New forum "goodies"

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: New forum "goodies"

Post by debbie276 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:45 am

The first picture in this thread ( http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20654 )makes 2 pictures pop up, yet mine only has that over-lay picture. Maybe it has something to do with when they were posted? Also I had to resize mine down to under 256KB to get them to post. :?
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:49 am

How are you posting pictures? With the "post reply" link or just using the "quick reply" box below.
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:51 am

I don't think we can post pics with this "Quick Reply" - I use the Post Reply and attach pics from my computer.

I didn't see any "overlay" of your photo and am not sure what you mean by that. When I click on one of your photos - it automatically sets it that we can view the second photo.
Liz

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:02 am

When I click on the first picture I get a large picture over top of the thread page. I can't move it or do anything till I close the picture. There is also another picture that pops up in another window that I can expand and contract and move around my screen.
When I click on my pictures there is only the one that you can't do anything but look at the picture and must close to proceed. Because I posted 2 pictures you can scroll through both in that one screen.
I could not load a large picture, just tried again and got this The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB.

In the quick reply window there is a insert image after the email link. I think you need to use photobucket or the like to do that though.
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:12 am

debbie276 wrote:When I click on the first picture I get a large picture over top of the thread page. I can't move it or do anything till I close the picture. There is also another picture that pops up in another window that I can expand and contract and move around my screen.
That's bizarre. Unfortunately I can't see the first pic due to firewalls at my current location.
debbie276 wrote:When I click on my pictures there is only the one that you can't do anything but look at the picture and must close to proceed. Because I posted 2 pictures you can scroll through both in that one screen.
I get this also - it's cool that you can scroll through the pics when there are multiples!
debbie276 wrote:I could not load a large picture, just tried again and got this The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB.
Hmmm - I think we need Crystal to help explain or direct us about uploading size limitations.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this all to me, Debbie. We'll get it sorted out.
debbie276 wrote:In the quick reply window there is a insert image after the email link. I think you need to use photobucket or the like to do that though.
I'm sure you are right about needing an off-site website to use those links.
Liz

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:00 pm

debbie276 wrote:When I click on the first picture I get a large picture over top of the thread page. I can't move it or do anything till I close the picture. There is also another picture that pops up in another window that I can expand and contract and move around my screen.
In the quick reply window there is a insert image after the email link. I think you need to use photobucket or the like to do that though.
The picture posted by Nipper was done using photobucket and the insert image after the email link (aka 'img tag'). That's why the photo behaves differently when you click it than the images you uploaded to the board using the attachment feature (which is a different process).

Anyone who uses the img tag will get their photo's dimensions automatically 'resized' if it's a large photo so that it will fit within the post and not stretch the screen too badly. It's not actually forcing the photo to have a smaller kb file size, however, it's just squeezing the dimensions of the photo.

(By the way, If you find that as a group you would prefer for it to only provide an 'overlay image' and NOT a pop-up in addition (or vise versa), that may be easy enough to accomplish.)

The attachment feature (available in full reply mode) does not link to external images but actually stores whatever image you attach on the server, because the attachment feature is actually an upload feature.

(This is, in my opinion, the preferred method for inserting photos into posts because the uploaded image will always be there.... as opposed to use of the img tag which relies on the location of the linked image never changing--if photobucket changed their URLs or if the owner of the photobucket account deleted their photos, any img tag linking to that photo in a post on this forum would then show a broken image.)

Anyways, because the attachment feature allows you to upload a photo to the server, it also sets a limit on the file size that the image can be... the purpose of this limitation is to prevent people from uploading images that are each 8 million gigs big (for ridiculous example) and "fill up" the server space the forum was allotted, much the same way that your hard drive on your computer would become full if you put too many huge files on it.

If I understand you correctly, what you are asking for is a modification to the forum that would automatically decrease the file size (in KB) of your attached/uploaded images so that you wouldn't have to do it yourself. If I'm not mistaken, there is currently a modification in place that can automatically adjust the dimensions of attached/uploaded images (much like the img tag can) so that the picture does not stretch the page, but there isn't one that can change the file size in kb. I can look into this, but I have a strong feeling it doesn't exist for phpBB (yet)... I'll let you know what I find.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Perfect explaination and I even understood it all. Thanks for looking into it for us
I cant thank you enough for all the time and energy you put into this forum. You and your moderator team make this forum one of the best!! =D>
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:00 am

OK it works. Upload any file size image you want, Debbie, it should auto-resize it for you :-)

That will probably save lots of you lots and lots of time photo editing!

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:53 am

The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB.
:cry:
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:33 am

debbie276 wrote:The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB.
Maybe it has more to do with the resolution of my pictures ... the one I've been trying to upload is 2256x1496 but 778KB
I really appreciate the time you've taken to look into this but now I feel like a pest. :wink: There doesn't seem to be any interest from anyone but me so I'll just resize when I want to upload, thanks again.
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:23 am

I have been busy lately. Debbie you are not the only one. Thanks for voicing opinion. I also find it ..too much time consuming to resize and up load. I lately used photobucket instead of having resize...

Crystal if you think you can fix it and that would be great. If not we understand ...
Q

Peales,Forbes,Strawberries,Purple Grenadier,BF and RF,Masked grass,BC/RC Cordons,Chestnut Mannikin,Society,GB,Goulds,Owls,Y&R * Senegal Fires,Gray/Green Singers,Yellow-bellied/OC Waxbills, Lavenders,St. Helenas,Pearl Headed/Bronze-W Mannikins,EUGold,Canaries,Chestnut Bellied,Heavy SG Pie & More

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:02 am

debbie276 wrote:
Maybe it has more to do with the resolution of my pictures ... the one I've been trying to upload is 2256x1496 but 778KB
I really appreciate the time you've taken to look into this but now I feel like a pest. :wink: There doesn't seem to be any interest from anyone but me so I'll just resize when I want to upload, thanks again.
The resolution for all photos to be viewable on computers only needs to be set at 72 pix. Try that and it should reduce your pics considerably. [-o<
Liz

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:04 am

purplejasminevn wrote:I have been busy lately. Debbie you are not the only one. Thanks for voicing opinion. I also find it ..too much time consuming to resize and up load. I lately used photobucket instead of having resize...
I too have a photobucket account but rarely use it as I find resizing with Photoshop (or anything similar) is much faster. I can resize a pic in under 10 seconds as compared to having to upload to an album in Photobucket and then having to copy the URL IMG code and having to paste it over here. #-o Maybe it's just me...
Liz

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:40 pm

We changed the code of the forum to force any picture whose dimensions are larger than 1280x960 to be resized, compressed (so the file size is also smaller) and uploaded - this combination is meant to force images to be smaller than the 256kib cutoff - thus bypassing any error. You may need to delete your browser's cache and reload the forum for the changes to take effect.

It is also possible however that the resolution of your photo is so high that even with resizing it to 1280x960 & compressing it, that it's still larger than 256 kib...

Can you email me (do-not-reply@finchforum.com) the photo you are trying to upload that is still causing the error? I can adjust the settings of the upload code if I need to and that should fix the problem.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:40 pm

OK NOW it should be fixed :-) Let me know if you come across any other photos that refuse to become smaller than 256 kib upon upload/attachment ;)