What's your opinion in regards to advertising on this forum?

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.

Where, if anywhere, should we allow advertising/marketing/promotion on this website?

Nowhere - I vote to do away with advertising altogether!
4%
Everywhere - I vote to allow advertising in every area of this forum!
5%
Some place(s) - I'd like to allow advertising in the marketplace.
30%
Some place(s) - I'd like to allow advertising in the resources forum.
16%
Some place(s) - I'd like to allow advertising in the signature field.
20%
Some place(s) - I'd like to allow advertising in the profile.
18%
Some place(s) - I'd like to allow advertising in PMs.
7%
Other (please specify in a comment or PM)
No votes

Total votes: 74

Dayna
Brooding
Brooding

Re: What's your opinion in regards to advertising on this fo

Post by Dayna » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm not sure posting this in the marketplace is the best idea because everything that is posted in the marketplace is removed after 30 days or whatever it is. Because of that people will have to keep reposting their ad's which would flood the "view new posts" and start annoying people very quickly. I think there should be either a new section altogether or for it to be put in resources. I also think that the poster should have the option of editing their ad whenever they need to (for the people getting in new products etc.) instead of reposting a new ad every time something new comes along.
Owls, Goulds, European Goldfinch, Red Belly Siskins and Zebs... For now...

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Re: What's your opinion in regards to advertising on this fo

Post by Crystal » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:04 pm

Dayna, thank you for your feedback!

You are right in stating that the market place is mainly intended for ads which can expire like a "Classified ads section" (actually it was created with an intention of helping hobby keepers--not really those with commercial ventures-- to connect and exchange goods on a small-scale basis), and was not set up to accommodate "long-term advertisements" by commercial entities.

I see your point of how it could become annoying to the author and the membership for someone to "repost an ad every time something new comes along," and appreciate your suggestion to make some forums "continuously editable" by the author.

Unfortunately, we are not able to selectively turn off the ability to edit posts on an individual subforum-basis. This is a board-wide setting; and cannot be applied differently to individual (sub)forums due to limitations in this forum's software.

We have chosen to limit the amount of time that the author has to edit their own post (board-wide) to provide them a reasonable opportunity to make any needed typographical/formatting corrections at the time of posting, without later allowing them to go back and completely alter or delete the contents of their posts hours/days/weeks/months/years later (sounds crazy, but it used to happen with some frequency), especially after the thread has already been read and/or replied to, since this causes confusion for everyone. Even if we had the ability to selectively change the setting on an individual sub-forum basis, I imagine we may still encounter similar problems with unintended "side effects" of "free for all" post-editing in the Marketplace. Difficult to predict.

So I thank you for your understanding of why this setting & policy is in place :0) But that's not to say that you can never see a post edited!! As an author of a post, you are welcome to notify the moderator team of a reasonable request to have a "minor edit" performed (for example, one that won't compromise the 'flow' of the thread or create confusion, or one that is needed to preserve your privacy/safety if you accidentally posted a picture of your care license plate when you meant to post a picture of your birds, for example).

So if you ever want a post of yours edited in the future, the best course of action is to send a PM to any member of the moderator team--or e-mail all of us at support@finchforum.com--OR use the "report" button attached to the post you'd like edited) with your request. In some cases, it may be easier or even make more sense just to make a new listing, and in the Market place it does make sense to let old ads/listings expire, as again, that was the original intent in setting up that forum.

In terms of providing a separate area of this forum dedicated solely to "long term" advertisement, since an area like that doesn't currently exist (unless you count the "Business Listings" thread in the Resources area)... After evaluating the responses to this poll & post, I feel that there is not sufficient demand (nor is it fitting with the intended purpose of this forum as a whole as a site dedicated to the hobby breeder and not to commercial ventures) to warrant a forum exclusively for "long term ads" to be posted. I do think we have found a nice balance/compromise in allowing some "limited" advertisement, including: business listings in the Resources forum, which can be edited upon author's request (as explained above), and allowing "Classified ad" type (short-term) postings in the Marketplace.

If you would like to read more about this choice and the options available for "marketing/advertisement" on this site according to the updated terms of service, please feel free to refer to the following thread:
http://finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21894