What's your opinion in regards to advertising on this forum?

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.

Where, if anywhere, should we allow advertising/marketing/promotion on this website?

Nowhere - I vote to do away with advertising altogether!
4%
Everywhere - I vote to allow advertising in every area of this forum!
5%
Some place(s) - I'd like to allow advertising in the marketplace.
30%
Some place(s) - I'd like to allow advertising in the resources forum.
16%
Some place(s) - I'd like to allow advertising in the signature field.
20%
Some place(s) - I'd like to allow advertising in the profile.
18%
Some place(s) - I'd like to allow advertising in PMs.
7%
Other (please specify in a comment or PM)
No votes

Total votes: 74

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: What's your opinion in regards to advertising on this fo

Post by CandoAviary » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Are these new business listers paying advertizers that bring in funds for the owner of the forum?
Will there be pop up ads or just ads in the commercial section?

Or is this just for members that have businesses that sale through the internet? Under resources there is already a place for Members Avian & Supply Websites ...

What would be the difference? I guess I don't understand the poll quandry. Large commercial advertizing willing to pay for the forum hits? If the latter is the cituation then of course it is hard to control what the advertizers promote so some censorship would be warranted and necessary if this is to stay a friendly family forum.

If it is just for members, hobbiest and member's bird related business then the resouce section is a great place to list them as they are now. That way people can find the place to order from easily. The marketplace works great for indiviuals who have birds, birdstuff, for sale or trade. I don't see why the prices for the items have to be listed however, most of the haggling is done privately between buyer and seller.

I don't see a need for "commercial business section" unless it is a place for one to sell space for ads.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Crystal, my take on this is since this is a finch/companion bird forum that it should be kept as such.

The business section should be one entry without and option to have replies or posts. It is strictly a resource reference point.

As Deborah mentioned most of the time there is a discussion on topic threads about the product, the business resource section should just be a place to refer people to much like a phone book.

As far as restricting certain products...if someone is using funds for a product for wrong doing or has harmed the forum/members in some manner then the promotion of the product(s), if the product(s) of that said person is strictly their own the yes it should be restricted/not promoted. If something wrong/illegal has been done then it is only fair that if the vendor goes so goes their product(s).

I am with Debbie on the advertising and paying something for it. It will help fund the tip jar as well.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:27 pm

debbie276 wrote:
...and I like the idea of "Business Listings" - but am also toying with the idea of having an even more encompassing "business designated" area - for example, for people who not only wish to be able to advertise or view advertisements, but also be able to talk about the process of starting, owning, operating a finch business, etc. Or maybe that type of topic is "off topic" or "beyond the scope" of this forum?
If you have a section for business advertising that would be a full blown ad and not just a "hey check this product out" as part of a post, I think it's only right that they should have to pay for it. :)
I do not want "full blown ads" or solicitations. I like the idea of a "hey check this product out" or "hey check out my redesigned storefront" or "I have a new batch of birds for sale, here's photos of them."
CandoAviary wrote: Are these new business listers paying advertizers that bring in funds for the owner of the forum?
No.
CandoAviary wrote: Will there be pop up ads or just ads in the commercial section?
No pop up ads allowed. Even if you wanted to, this board disables your ability to use javascript in your posts.
CandoAviary wrote: Large commercial advertizing willing to pay for the forum hits?
No, never.
...also I'm getting the impression that you guys might have misunderstood my intentions with the "business section" idea I'm toying with for this board. :shock: Please know that it is not meant to be a money-earning venture somehow for this forum, myself, or to be abused as such by any of our members.

This forum has been and will always be (so long as I'm the founder!) 100% free for people to use - that means free of nonpertinent ads, free from being charged any type of fee for admittance or posting, free of spam or malicious attempts for other people to abuse this site or its members for the purpose of making money (to the best of our ability to control unwanted attacks), and free from people feeling badgered with product recommendations or like they are being peddled to.

I want to assure you that so long as I'm responsible for this forum, it will never earn any revenue generated from ads, period. The FINCHforum is not a for-profit venture, nor a commercial venture. It's an altruistic venture - which means I'm happy to pay for the hosting out of my own wallet without expecting anything in return. And the only other funds that (when available) sometimes help offset those hosting costs come from others (our members & guests of the forum) who want to do the same -- donate to the cause without expecting anything in return.

(& isn't that a beautiful thing?)
CandoAviary wrote: Or is this just for members that have businesses that sale through the internet? Under resources there is already a place for Members Avian & Supply Websites ...

What would be the difference? I guess I don't understand the poll quandry.

If it is just for members, hobbiest and member's bird related business then the resouce section is a great place to list them as they are now. That way people can find the place to order from easily. The marketplace works great for indiviuals who have birds, birdstuff, for sale or trade. I don't see why the prices for the items have to be listed however, most of the haggling is done privately between buyer and seller.

I don't see a need for "commercial business section" unless it is a place for one to sell space for ads.
It's definitely not a place to sell space for ads. :0) I will try to provide a better outline of my "vision" regarding the "business section" idea I'm still just toying with....
cindy wrote: Crystal, my take on this is since this is a finch/companion bird forum that it should be kept as such.

The business section should be one entry without and option to have replies or posts. It is strictly a resource reference point.

As Deborah mentioned most of the time there is a discussion on topic threads about the product, the business resource section should just be a place to refer people to much like a phone book.
I agree with maintaining a reference point, and I agree with keeping advertisements/marketing "contained" so it doesn't run rampant (that's a big part of the point of this post). However, if we limited the "business section" to only being a reference point that didn't allow replies, where would be the most appropriate place on this forum, in your opinion, for a member to make a post about their experiencing starting/redesigning/running/etc. a finch store if they wanted to use it as an expose' for marketing purposes? Should we disallow this type of marketing and only allow posts geared toward education?

If you need a more specific example.. say I had a store that sold nest boxes. If I posted in the breeding section "Hey check it out! I just got in a shipment of a new style of nest box! Here's photos: x x x; If you want to buy one, ..." etc. would that be appropriate? Or should posts in the main forum (ie not the marketplace or that one 'no-fuss-no-reply business listing') be limited to "Hey check out this new type of nest box that exists! Here's a picture!" and no go on to 'advertise' it further?
cindy wrote: I am with Debbie on the advertising and paying something for it. It will help fund the tip jar as well.
No can do! (Although I understand the rationale/sentiment). The tip jar is for donations on a volunteer basis only, not as a holding area for 'ad revenue', since there will never be any ad revenue generated here for this site ;o)

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:37 pm

I don't have a problem with anyone selling on the forum as long as they are a member.
I do not like the fact that if you sell a bird you have to list the price. If someone is interested in your birds they can contact you. Even if a price is listed it changes alot of time between the buyer and seller anyway.
I have GIVEN alot of my gouldians away because I wanted them to have good homes and didn't want to list prices.
Donna

wellingtoncdm

Post by wellingtoncdm » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:40 pm

I for one Do Not want posts full of ads. I like the forum the way it is. A separate area for business listings or minimal ads feels right but this forum isn't about business as much as info on care, housing, breeding, species....
Was there a reason or situation that came up for this discussion?

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:50 pm

wellingtoncdm wrote:Was there a reason or situation that came up for this discussion?
Yes, sort of.

We have gotten feedback regarding numerous posts/threads where people perceived "blatant marketing" which was a "turn-off." I am being vague because I want to respect the privacy of those involved.

They were not 'posts full of ads' in the sense of a bunch of banners and graphics and price-listing, persay, but (if I interpreted the feedback I've seen correctly) they felt like it.

wellingtoncdm

Post by wellingtoncdm » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:03 pm

I would politely agree that that was a turn off for me as well. If I want a product I will investigate it rather than have it repeatedly shoved at me. Especially if I am not sure it's good for my birds.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:12 pm

So I want to figure out how to walk the fine line between allowing members the ability to express their pleasure about a product (which in some cases might be construed as marketing) with not causing the readership to be "turned off" when they come to the forums.

Maybe this finer point falls more under a rule of 'etiquette' than a rule about 'limitations on marketing on the forums' ? :/

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:21 pm

dfcauley wrote:I don't have a problem with anyone selling on the forum as long as they are a member.
I do not like the fact that if you sell a bird you have to list the price. If someone is interested in your birds they can contact you.
Thank you for your feedback about this issue. I'll make sure it gets taken up with the moderating team as a topic to be considered!

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:18 pm

but am also toying with the idea of having an even more encompassing "business designated" area - [where we would] be able to talk about the process of starting, owning, operating a finch business, etc.
hi crystal 8)
i like this idea! i would be very interested in learning from other forum members who have experience with running a finch business. maybe there could be experienced members who could volunteer to be "mentors" to those who are interested in learning more. just an idea :mrgreen:
amy :-B

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:42 pm

Crystal...is there a way if you do decided on a Business section to just have it listed. Like a Directory. If we start giving our experience with the company...it can be positive but if it was not a good experience and the compay is a member's company it could be uncomfortable for the owner/memeber of the business.

Just a go to list/Directory with a website address would be nice.

I do like the forum like it is though.

~ My Facebook groups ~

wellingtoncdm

Post by wellingtoncdm » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Most of us are hobby breeders and collectors. Few If any are heavy duty producers with finches being our primary source of income. A how to area on finch businesses would maybe appeal to some but not the majority. Maybe an article could cover it. As I said earlier the great thing about this forum is the wealth of information on different species, housing, nutrition, breeding and health. To me it's not an advertising forum. I would hate for people to use it to promote their businesses and have people feel pressured to use a certain company or individual's product. What happens when someone has an unfortunate experience with a company? That could get dicey. The flavor of the forum would change quickly.
I like an area designated for businesses like a directory. It should not be in random posts or PMs.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:11 pm

wellingtoncdm wrote: Most of us are hobby breeders and collectors. Few If any are heavy duty producers with finches being our primary source of income. A how to area on finch businesses would maybe appeal to some but not the majority. Maybe an article could cover it. As I said earlier the great thing about this forum is the wealth of information on different species, housing, nutrition, breeding and health. To me it's not an advertising forum. I would hate for people to use it to promote their businesses and have people feel pressured to use a certain company or individual's product. What happens when someone has an unfortunate experience with a company? That could get dicey. The flavor of the forum would change quickly.
I like an area designated for businesses like a directory. It should not be in random posts or PMs.
I agree...just a directory to refer to is plenty.

~ My Facebook groups ~

kheather
Brooding
Brooding

Post by kheather » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:12 pm

i guess, i have to say....i would not mind having a section to go to when I need or want something. I love seeing what's available and what other's have. I do order online products pretty regularly. I am on the ff alot and I think I would frequent the section. I do like the idea of having a choice to go "shopping" instead of something always being in the sidelines.
Heather finch and canary hobbyist
gouldians, canaries, zebras, societies, parrotlets, english budgie and a greencheek

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:45 pm

I agree with Charlie.

It should stay a finch/bird related forum for hobby bird keepers and breeders. I would NOT want to get ads per PM and would for sure block that person from sending me anything ever again. A listing of businesses is ok, and it I want to buy something I can go there and look.
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.