Malware on Computer

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
carlamay
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Re: Finch Code explanation

Post by carlamay » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:17 pm

I understand what you guys are saying BUT I am having problems when I access it off of the link on the left side of this screen. That is the point (Finch Forum Link)from which I had the geeks investigate. Yes, it is a spyware/malware etc. problem and the geeks ran a dozen programs to try to iradicate this-including 2 I recognize from your list. I went to bed so didn't see it all. I am talking 13 hours they had remote control. I am not worried as I can and do go onto Google Chrome to access Finch Info. But a bunch of us have it, whatever it is!
10 Owl Finches, 15 Pied Societies, 8 Color Bred Canaries and a blind Gouldian, Veronica
2 schnauzers, Herb & Stella[/color][/size][/font]
1 Sheltie mix, Mickey

not much time for a life!

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Finch Code explanation

Post by lovemyfinch » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Same as Debbie and Sally here. Not seeing anything out of order :?
May I suggest the malwarebytes that Crystal gave you a link to.
I know that my hubby swears by it.
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Malware on Computer

Post by finchmix22 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:40 pm

What about people who use Safari as the browse with google as the search engine? I have not had a problem, but certainly don't want one either. I have the FF as my homepage, so I've never had a problem accessing this site. I have gone several times to the FIC, from here, without problems. I just want to be proactive, if there is something that could interfer with a Mac.
DEBORAH

BillD
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by BillD » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:57 pm

Comment from a semi-geek :|
I have been using Avast Virus protection for several years and it is inexpensive compared to Norton (which I dislike since it slows your computer). It updates daily and has kept me relatively virus free.
http://www.avast.com/en-us/lp-ppc-14?ch ... %20Branded

I also dislike IE, since most hackers attack Microsoft, but if yours is working well, stay with it. I use Firefox. I've heard Chrome is a good one too, but have no experience with Safari (except my cell phone). There are many others.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Disclaimer: These are just suggestions. I just know what is working for me and hope they work for you.
2 polydactyl Snowflake felines and a new Panther non-poly feline.. Working on building the bloodline of the local Fawn Owls.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:28 pm

I have been in touch with DreamHost & they ran a scan on all the finch sites hosted on my directory on their server. There is an infected file in several of the sites, & hacker code injected into one of the pages on finchinfo.com; I am eradicating it now and hope this will prevent any of you from having further difficulties! A special thank you to Cindy & carlamay for bringing it to my attention!!

Please let me know if you ever experience anything like this again :0)

Lisa
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Lisa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:46 pm

There was a specific user who had posted pictures of their birds at one point - everytime I would try to read that specific thread, I would get the "this page is infected" warning and it would stop me from proceeding. The person had their pics loaded through Flickr - I did notice that several people were replying to the thread, so must have been reading/viewing it without any warning popping up. These types of things can creep in in the most insidious ways.

Thanks Crystal for contacting the host to check it out! You're a great site admin!

carlamay
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by carlamay » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for following up on this as I love the site and want to visit it often and easily! I contacted the tech team at Kaspersky security and they are running an additional malware/spyware evaluation. Guess we will know the outcome but it never hurts to check!

This is such a nice, friendly site and I am learning tons! But I may be actually confusing myself with too much info...first I see one finch and Have toHave one then the next is a Must as well! Will be relying heavily upon my new friends at the Ft. Worth Bird Club as well as asking input from all of you. Thanks in advance..now if anyone knows how to put a rocket in my boyfriend's pants so he will finish my main aviary, please let me know! I can Not Wait!
10 Owl Finches, 15 Pied Societies, 8 Color Bred Canaries and a blind Gouldian, Veronica
2 schnauzers, Herb & Stella[/color][/size][/font]
1 Sheltie mix, Mickey

not much time for a life!

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Lisa, you don't happen to remember the URL of the thread that gave you that warning?

Lisa
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Lisa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:00 pm

I don't, unfortunately, it was about a month ago. If I recall correctly, it was a new user (at the time) posting first pics of their birds and I was very curious to see them. The person has been around for quite a while now and posts regularly and I never had any problems viewing their photos. Maybe it was just one specific ad that was generating off the Flickr site that day.

I remember a long time ago there was a very nasty virus that had spread in my workplace and everyone's inclination was that the users who spread it were visiting "questionable" sites ... in the end, it turned out it was an ad that was generating from the NY Times website, of all things! That's what I mean, these things can sneak in even into respectable websites through external links of all kinds.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 pm

BillD wrote: Comment from a semi-geek :|
I have been using Avast Virus protection for several years and it is inexpensive compared to Norton (which I dislike since it slows your computer). It updates daily and has kept me relatively virus free.
http://www.avast.com/en-us/lp-ppc-14?ch ... %20Branded

I also dislike IE, since most hackers attack Microsoft, but if yours is working well, stay with it. I use Firefox. I've heard Chrome is a good one too, but have no experience with Safari (except my cell phone). There are many others.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Disclaimer: These are just suggestions. I just know what is working for me and hope they work for you.
Bill, I have AVG, is that a good one? Not the free basic version, but one you pay for to get more features. It was recommended to me, and haven't had any trouble, but you never know these days.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:02 pm

I have AVG...it scans every new email in and scans and notifies me during the day...so far so good!!

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

BillD
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by BillD » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm not familiar with AVG, but if it is working for you I would suggest you stay with it. You know how it works and the only time I would consider changing, is if it started to fail and you get viruses.

It's unfortunate that we have to worry about this. :cry:
2 polydactyl Snowflake felines and a new Panther non-poly feline.. Working on building the bloodline of the local Fawn Owls.