How to search for Society Finch stuff?

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
Nerien

How to search for Society Finch stuff?

Post by Nerien » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:11 pm

When I try to search specifically for Society finch, the search thingie disregards the word "Society" saying it is too common. So instead of pulling out just Society Finch chicks, Society finch genetics/colors/etc, I get a search of ALL chicks, ALL colors, ALL genetics.

Is there some way to beat this? I tried the + thing like I think it says with the search box, but it won't do it. I don't have time or vision to read through all the posts to find those related to Society finches. Help?

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: How to search for Society Finch stuff?

Post by finchmix22 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:17 pm

I am not sure how to bypass that one, but sometimes I put Society clutches or ask to search under breeding or a different category and I can get Society postings, but still get some others.
DEBORAH

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:13 pm

phpBB (this board's software) natively turns every post into a list of individual words which is what the search feature references - therefore there are no exact phrases that the search feature can use, only individual words. words which are "very common" (like "finch" ... which is probably among the most common words used in this board) are ignored because to return every result with the word finch in it would probably give you over 100,000 posts in the search results.

I agree that compared to many search capabilities found elsewhere, the search feature on this board's software feels pretty useless at times due to the way it's set up to run.

I might be able to find a way to integrate google's search capability with this board, but in the meantime, try going to www.google.com and in the search box type: site:finchforum.com "society finch"

(or whatever it is you're looking for in quotes) to get more relevant search results from finchforum.com.

Hope that helps at least a little for now :0)

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:46 pm

Crystal,
That is a good suggestion. Sometimes, when I'm researching some finch related issue online, I get FF posts listed. That may help to narrow a search for sure.
DEBORAH

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:24 pm

Good news! I found a way to allow for exact search matches. You can now search for exact phrases by enclosing them in quotes. e.g. "Society Finch"

Let me know if this new search method is more helpful to you. It is possible that this new method may slow down the board & result in more 500 internal server errors. Let me know if you experience this problem as I may have to revisit the possibility of integrating Google's search capabilities with this board.