Members Only Section?

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Members Only Section?

Post by william » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:52 pm

dumb question here!!! do non members see this pics?

Please excuse me for jumping into your post, william, but since I moved this discussion into its own thread, and posts are always in order of the date and time they were posted, I needed to edit your post to explain what is happening.

It recently came up in the thread 'Faces to the Name' in the Off-topic forum that since this is an open forum, any personal photos posted in that thread were visible to any and all who looked at the forum, even if they are not a member nor logged in.

I have started this new thread for that discussion, so that the original topic doesn't get hijacked, and I will move the posts relative to that discussion into this new thread.

Sally
The Moderator Team
Last edited by Sally on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved this discussion into its own thread, and I had to add my comments to william's post.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Faces to the name!!

Post by debbie276 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:45 pm

I just logged out and refreshed the page and could still see all the pictures. :?
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

PrettyBird
Proven
Proven

Post by PrettyBird » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:28 pm

Yes non members can see it (that means ANYONE from around the world who looks on this site can see the pictures, and every single post on this forum) thats why I didnt want to put a picture up.

Maybe a new change can be made for a post like this to be private for members only?

I wish the whole site would be for members only.
if outsiders/lurkers really want information/or ask questions its not like its that hard to sign up and join this site. It is free after all, and easy to do...
Dee
English & American Budgies, Gouldians
AACC member
http://lilbirdtoys.weebly.com

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:04 am

PrettyBird who can we talk to to see if we can at least make our personal pics private?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm not computer literate, so I didn't even realize that when I posted a simple photo, it could become a way for someone to find out more about me. Don't know how it works, or if it is even correct, but someone told me this. One of the reasons I don't do Facebook. Perhaps we can see if Crystal can somehow make this thread for Members Only. I'm thinking that the Marketplace originally was Members Only, though I may be completely wrong on this.

As far as making the whole forum Members Only, I can't speak for Crystal, who is the owner of both this site and The Finch Information Center, but I would guess that her original intention for this forum was for it to be a source of information without restriction. Anyone can read posts in this forum, but only members can post or send/receive PMs. If the whole forum was made Members Only, then those people who are just seeking a bit of information, or those who are lurking, or those who just happen upon the site in a web search will have no idea what a rich source this is. I'm sure many of us have had the experience of joining a closed forum out of curiosity, only to be sorely disappointed when that site did not live up to its hype.

The fact that this is an open forum is why we ask that members don't post their emails, phone numbers, addresses, etc. in their posts. That type of information can be exchanged in PMs, which are not visible to the public or even other members. If there are other steps that could be taken to protect the privacy of our membership, I'd welcome hearing about them.

I can't even begin to guess how many members lurked here for a time before joining--I know that I did. If it had been a closed forum, I may never have joined, and look what I would have missed! I think this is the best finch forum on the internet, and I would hate to see it become a restricted forum. The Moderation Team works to keep out spammers and others who do not have the best interests of this forum in mind. From time to time, some will not follow the rules, but I think we will all agree that this is a great community, open to the world.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

PrettyBird
Proven
Proven

Post by PrettyBird » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Your right Sally.

Maybe Crystal can just make this thread for members only then? Just so people will have some sort of privacy posting pics of themselves/family members.
Dee
English & American Budgies, Gouldians
AACC member
http://lilbirdtoys.weebly.com

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:13 pm

I'm presenting the idea to Crystal, but be aware that she is very busy at the moment, so it may not happen right away. But we will keep you posted.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

wellingtoncdm

Post by wellingtoncdm » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:49 pm

Sally wrote: As far as making the whole forum Members Only, I can't speak for Crystal, who is the owner of both this site and The Finch Information Center, but I would guess that her original intention for this forum was for it to be a source of information without restriction. Anyone can read posts in this forum, but only members can post or send/receive PMs. If the whole forum was made Members Only, then those people who are just seeking a bit of information, or those who are lurking, or those who just happen upon the site in a web search will have no idea what a rich source this is. I'm sure many of us have had the experience of joining a closed forum out of curiosity, only to be sorely disappointed when that site did not live up to its hype!
I totally agree. I joined after being able to read and learn so much as well as watch how members interacted. If it was closed I would have never found it or joined.

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Re: Members Only Section?

Post by dfcauley » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:40 am

I wouldn't want the forum to be members only either. It needs to be available to someone in an emergency and also just for helpful information. Makes it a friendlier place!! :) :lol:
Donna

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:21 am

I wouldn't want to see the entire forum members only, but I don't see any reason why a section can't be, if that makes members feel more comfortable about posting certain things.
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:27 am

The forum need to remain open, not just for members only. Those members posting have the option of posting pictures and information or not for all to see. Closing it down to members only, even a section of it will change the availability of information given to the public in general.

Facebook groups have the option of being open for all to see or closed (often to protect the members since private information is more accessable on facebook). Here on this forum you have the option of hiding exactly who you are and where you are located and how much information you want to provide about yourself.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:42 am

A section for members only to post pictures of themselves is similar to the map feature that is only available to members. I don't see how that will change any availability of information to the public about finches. A members only section would just be a perk that you get being a member, no different then PM's, the map, calendar and being able to post etc.
I guess I don't see why we should be catering to non-members over members when all they do is lurk and not contribute :?
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:13 am

debbie276 wrote: A section for members only to post pictures of themselves is similar to the map feature that is only available to members. I don't see how that will change any availability of information to the public about finches. A members only section would just be a perk that you get being a member, no different then PM's, the map, calendar and being able to post etc.
I guess I don't see why we should be catering to non-members over members when all they do is lurk and not contribute :?

Good point! :lol:
Donna

wellingtoncdm

Post by wellingtoncdm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:14 am

I understand your point Debbie but I was one of these non members for a while before deciding to join so I guess I relate to them. I benefitted greatly from all of the available info and then decided to join. I wouldn't have joined if it were closed. I also post knowing anyone can read and learn from us about their finches and birds. Sharing info and learning is what it's all about.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:55 am

wellingtoncdm wrote: I understand your point Debbie but I was one of these non members for a while before deciding to join so I guess I relate to them. I benefitted greatly from all of the available info and then decided to join. I wouldn't have joined if it were closed. I also post knowing anyone can read and learn from us about their finches and birds. Sharing info and learning is what it's all about.
Absolutely agree, I also lurked for a while till I joined. That's why I'm saying only a little section with member privacy so they feel more comfortable with certain posts, may be something to seriously consider. :D
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue