Members Only Section?

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Members Only Section?

Post by tinysparrow » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:02 pm

This is a very interesting thread :) I recently looked at another bird forum that was recommended to me. I found it was really intimidating since a lot of the sub forums were for members only. It seemed like a secret club, so I didn't join! Also, it was impossible to see how the members interacted since the sub forums were closed. I couldn't see if the members were kind to one another, (or if they were not so kind ;) ).

On the other hand, I do think that Debbie does have a point. Sometimes I would like to be able to post photos of one of my birds that is dying and have only members look at those pictures. But I also understand that non-members can benefit from learning from the conversations that we have about those birds.
amy :-B

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:11 pm

we are only talking about making private the thread (faces to names!) and i think even going as far as only allowing new member in this thread after they gain some kind of trust ,or the option of us choosing who we show our personal pics within the forum and i repeat (just our portrait) not all the other beatifull and helpfull pictures :wink: (or deleted our face pics :cry: which i wont like to see go away because it gives all our new friends a face :) . with that said i think i should explain why I am little concern! someone put two and two together with a little research and notice that i was the same person on Craigslist selling some birds because i used the same pics i had on Finchforum they started sending me pictures of them self's and a bunch of emails for a couple of weeks which i am glad it stopped because it was annoying. i realize they knew who i was because they mention my name which is not on Craigslist. so i asked the person how do you know my name? and they admitted to getting it from here :shock: . with that said am not scare of a little stalker but i am concern if one of the ladies here may post about going to a bird mart and even adding that they going alone because there husbands are busy or something in that line, so with that info and a picture all that one of this Loonatics have to do its show up and look for them :( ! i apologize if i started some any trouble here, it was not my intention!!!! :(

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:25 pm

William, I had the same thing happen, someone put two and two together but not from an ad but a posting here in regards to penguins and I did a show and had business cards out...I started getting calls bugging me for penguins which I don't sell and did not have at the show. Another was watching the forum, knew my pictures saw ads on ebayclassified and started bugging me about other mutations....you can block the email addresses in you private email setting. You can also report to the customer service to have the person blocked from responding to your ads.

I no longer leave cards down at shows and only hand them out when asked and give them if I feel comfortable doing so. This is the risk we take posting pictures and running ads.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:21 pm

I don't think you started a problem. These are all valid concerns and should be discussed. :wink:
Donna

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:56 pm

william, you didn't start any trouble here, you brought up a very valid point which has led to a good discussion. I personally thank you for bringing it up, and I hope it does lead to a few changes in the forum. Of course, I want to see the forum stay open to the public. Too many have benefitted from reading posts or searching for information here. I love the camaraderie between members, and I love the fact that nonmembers can learn from this site and hopefully join us. I myself do not care as much for closed forums. I found my favorite aquarium forum through a search, it is an open forum, and I was able to do some research and feel it out before I joined, and the same here. I don't even understand the reasoning behind a closed forum, why the need for secrecy?

I do feel that a small section for more personal threads/posts would be beneficial to all the membership, where they could post their family photos, etc., in an area only for other members to see. In this day of so little privacy on the internet, perhaps a Members Only area would help. But members still have to remember that they need to be careful about how much information they give about themselves, even in a closed section.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

wellingtoncdm

Post by wellingtoncdm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Sally that makes sense.

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:53 am

I completely agree with your statement Sally.

Also everyone must be aware that even if you post something in a private section it is still out there for all members to read. So I think in retrospect the best thing that anyone can do is only post information that you do not mind others having access to. After all, at some point were we all non-members here :wink:
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet