When Searching Through Older Topics

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

When Searching Through Older Topics

Post by Sally » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:57 pm

I've noticed that a lot of newbies do a great deal of research on this forum, looking for old topics that may help them. This is wonderful, as there is a lot of good information to be found in the older topics. However, when reviving an old topic that hasn't been posted to in a long time, it might help to check and see if that member is still around before asking them a question. You can check this very easily by clicking on their profile (button at the bottom of their posts), which will show you the last date they logged in to the forum. In most cases, if they haven't logged in for several years, they may have left the forum permanently. Some still lurk, just not logging in, others have simply moved on. Some members don't post for months at a time, because they have busy lives, but return once they have some extra time, so there is always the chance that you will get a reply, but that doesn't happen often.

The same goes for PMs. You can always send a PM to a member to ask questions, but if they haven't been active in a long time, they probably don't even receive your PM.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Re: When Searching Through Older Topics

Post by Colt » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:07 pm

Another idea instead of reviving an old and very dead thread from years back would be to start your own, post a link to the old thread within your post and possibly tag those members that were contributing information.

As Sally has said so many members move on with their lives and no longer visit the finch forum. There are lots of us that can try to help if you start a new thread. I don't think the moderators will pull out the coconut fiber to beat you over the head with for that. ;)

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:15 pm

Colt

I get the spray millet, when I'm bad :-SS

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:21 pm

lol lovezebs I thought Sally was brandishing the coco fiber over your copyright transgressions...haha

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:22 am

lovezebs Colt You guys give me a much-needed laugh, thanks! I've packed away my coconut fiber and spray millet for the night! :lol: Colt, I really like that idea of linking to the old thread, so members can start their own, yet still connect with the old members!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:25 am

Colt

Alas no.... She's bringing out the heavy guns now..... the dreaded spray millet.......

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:30 am

lol Sally I do too. That's whay my posts often have links to other threads or even older ones of my own. Much easier than retyping it or copying and pasting huge chunks.

and lovezebs...I hope she makes you clean up the mess a spray millet beating would cause...lol That's the real punishment...

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am

Colt

Oh God, don't give her any ideas!

I have enough of a bird mess to clean up as it is. It's never never ending. I vacume twice a day, and sweep endless piles into bigger piles, into bigger piles, of seeds, seed hulls, feathers and other unmentionable little things.

~Elana~
~Elana~