bird price guide?

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
mickp
Weaning
Weaning

bird price guide?

Post by mickp » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:50 pm

on a regular basis people are always asking about the prices for birds and the answers vary greatly depending upon where you are from, country/state/county and also if you are purchasing from a breeder or pet shop :cry: .
what are the chances of an area where people can post as to how much they paid for birds. maybe broken down into the various species of finch so it is easier for people to find what it is they have. it could be added as an extra section in the markerplace, something that could then be used as a guide to prices (not to be taken as gospel).
In Australia there is a bird price guide made available through bird clubs/societies every year or two and most breeders/sellers try to stick to this.

looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks and how Hilary and Tammie feel about it.
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:08 am

Sounds like A good idea :)

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:24 am

Yep sounds good to me too.
Liz

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:15 am

Great idea! Questions on prices come up frequently. I'm pretty adamant about not purchasing from a pet store for obvious reasons. Maybe if folks had an idea on what specific finches cost, they would stay away from pet stores since they sell them for so much more.

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:52 am

if I want a pair of finches badly enough I dont care about the price (within reason) but on principal I will not purchase from a pet shop as there is no way to truly know the age of the bird or what conditions it was kept under. while all pet shops know where they purchased their birds from they have no obligation to pass that information onto the purchaser, which sux

AussieFinchForum

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:11 am

If you'd like I can pin a topic to the top of Marketplace where folks can post what they paid, what type of finch, breeder/broker/store and location. If we get enough input then I can work with Crystal to organize the data.
Hilary

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:29 am

Hilary
I think that would be good

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:49 pm

here is the type of list made available in Australia, this is part of the 2007 price guide

Parrot Finch
blue faced $70
lutino cock each $200
lutino hen each $150
Bamboo $3000
Peales $2250

there are approximately 60 different finch species on the list, then all of the mutations as well.

It may be easier if it is set up to be broken down by species, let people specify what the mutation is (if any).
only thing I would ask is that people are made to state the country of purchase, as bird prices fluctuate depending upon where you live.
I'm still envious of Willies twinspots

AussieFinchForum