Odd advertising at top of pages.

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
FeatherHarp

Post by FeatherHarp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Could this just be a PC problem?

I went to this site using Firefox....Netscape and Safari browsers on my Mac and no advertising anywhere to be found for me. Very strange indeed! :-s

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:37 am

Crystal is trying to figure out how to get rid of the spam that is causing the problem. Hopefully she'll figure this out soon!
Hilary

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:55 am

Thanks Hilary!
Liz

FeatherHarp

Post by FeatherHarp » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:00 am

Ok...just letting you know my Mac is not excluded from this spam....I just found the travel stuff when I went to look at the Gallery pics and also went into the Site Related topic to post here....grrrr! :evil:

And yes...thanks Hilary for your efforts....hope this spam gets the axe soon! 8)

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:17 am

I've been getting it for a few daysw now. I thought that maybe we weren't donating enough money to the tip jar. I donated a little when I first joined.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:37 am

:lol: Tips go to Crystal, who is working on the problem. Maybe she'll work harder! Last I heard first efforts to kill this had failed, but she was going to do some more research. Sorry folks!
Hilary

kittani79
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by kittani79 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:06 am

I posted on another forum I hang out on with a bunch of my geekier friends, and got these responses. Perhaps one of them will be helpful, so I'm going to post them here.
Kazin

what forum technology are they using? it sounds like someone had or has access to their root directory to change the link like that. It is also possible that they just added a piece of code as an include.

Since its a board, her best bet would be to go to the support forums and post the problem there. Especially if its phpbb - they are very helpful with that.

*edit*

Looking through the source - i think it is phpbb or phpbb2 - depending on how old the site is. It sounds like they might have downloaded a bad template? Not sure here - ill keep poking around and see what i can find. What is throwing me off is that they do not have any of the identifiers that you usually find in premade boards (for instance "powered by phpBB" or similar)

---------------------------------------------------
Boeufmort

I'm guessing that either the template was modified, which means their account was hacked and the hosting company needs to take care of that pronto, or an SQL injection was used to replace data that the template is pulling out, which means they need to update their php engine or bulletin board software. Those php systems are horrible about that.

Either way, the hosting company (which is DreamHost) should be able to fix it. Or, at least, they should be responsible, that doesn't mean they'll fix it in a timely fashion.

Looks like PageRank spammers are getting nasty. I had to clean one of those "oh noes you have a virus buy our anti-virus software!" extortion schemes from my parents' computer over Thanksgiving. I'm almost ready to stop programming and start getting into computer security, just so I can learn how to track these people down and take a crowbar to their knees.

The other problem is that it looks fine in IE, so ~75% of their visitors probably don't even care.

------------------------------------------
Nikolis

You, or the site webmaster, might want to visit the official support forums for further advice. I looked around, but don't really have an idea. The information contained on those two forums are static, which means they don't change. That causes doubt as to whether they're generated ads or not. Also, if it were part of the template, then it would be effecting every other forum, too, and not just two of them.

Just post here:

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/postlis ... d=3rdparty

alex
Pip
Pip

Post by alex » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:52 pm

while you have Crystal working on it

she has plans to resume the construction and maintenance of the site ? Still alot of potentially very interesting articles are missing...

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:34 am

I passed on the info to Crystal - contacting Dreamhost sounds like it makes sense! I also passed on the desire for more articles on Finchinfo. :)
Hilary

alex
Pip
Pip

Post by alex » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:34 pm

sweet. I hope she'll become active again :)

hilljack13
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by hilljack13 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:56 pm

I'm getting some cruise/travel info on a few pages. At home and work. Glad to see it's not just me.

alex
Pip
Pip

Post by alex » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:41 pm

it does seem to be fixed now

Just need to get Crystal back to work on the site now...

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:51 pm

Alex
I have been wondering what kind of finch's do you keep?

alex
Pip
Pip

Post by alex » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:30 pm

Zebras for now. 10 of them. And a cockatiel, but thats not a finch.

Just bought my first house and now I plan to build myself an indoor aviary in one of the rooms.

Hence my interest for more articles, especially on care, aviary plans/examples/pictures, compatibility between species, etc...

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:06 pm

A lot of the information you need is in the link to the left http://www.finchinfo.com/index.php