Posting comments in the Gallery

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Posting comments in the Gallery

Post by tammieb » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:42 pm

Okay, I've tried viewing the Gallery in all three browsers... IE, Firefox and Netscape. NONE of them gives me a comment box so I am unable to post comments about the photos.

What is going on?
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:54 pm

It won't allow you to leave a comment unless it recognizes that you are logged in. I am not exactly sure why, but there have been several instances where the gallery did not recognize that users were logged in (may have something to do with the fact that the gallery and the forum are actually seperate software, and one came with a patch which "bridged" them together--perhaps not completley).

I have permissions on the gallery set so that only logged-in (registered) users can leave comments to help prevent bots from putting spam in the comments on the gallery. When people weren't able to upload pictures (as that also used to be reserved for registered & logged in members to do, too), I changed the permissions so that anyone could upload a picture--registered/logged-in or not. Now more people can upload pictures, but you'll notice they are uploaded by "Guest" or anonymous, because the gallery does not recognize that they are logged in and a member of the forum & gallery.

I think it may be a sessions problem but I am not that great with PHP so I'm not sure how to fix it. You can try doing what I do (since I don't have any problems) and see if it works for you:

I go to www.finchforum.com and log in using the user & password boxes on the left hand side of the screen above the "helpful finch link" etc. THEN I click the "gallery" tab from the row of links at the top of the page (under the cartoony birds).

If that still doesn't work for you, I am not sure how to fix it. I could open up comments to anyone (like I did with the pictures), but they would be left by "Guest" instead of your log in name, and the gallery would probably become overcome with spam :(

Sorry for the inconvenience

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:43 pm

I am always logged in to the forum. I don't have the login box that you mentioned. I tried to login in by clicking on the "login" link that is provided on the Gallery page, where it says to either log in or register, but it only takes me back to the forum where I am logged in.

Anyway, I posted a photo of my budgie and as you predicted, it doesn't say who posted the photo. So I guess I am a "guest".

I will try to work around it on my end. Thanks Crystal!
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:49 pm

Okay, if I log out then log back in I can then proceed to the Gallery and post comments.

Guess that wasn't so hard afterall. :roll:
TammieB.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:59 pm

Thought I'd add the following for anyone else that is having trouble posting in the Gallery...

If you are logged in to the Gallery it will say so in the menu at the top of the page along with; Album list, My profile, FAQ, Upload file, Search, Last comments and etc.,

Also when you go to post a photo, there will be 10 boxes for "file uploads" and 10 boxes for "URL uploads". If you only see one box then you are not logged in.

I hope that eliminates any confusion you may have about posting, (photos or comments), in the gallery.
TammieB.