Should the FIC be updated more?

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.

do you think the FIC should be updated:

Poll ended at Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:35 am

annually
14%
bi-annually
50%
monthly
21%
weekley
14%
an updated FIC is unimportant to me
No votes

Total votes: 14

sean
Mature
Mature

Should the FIC be updated more?

Post by sean » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:35 am

As we all know, the FIC (Finch Information Center) is a wealth of good information and advice for finch caretakers. However, despite the vast amount of good stuff accessible, it has not been updated in over a year.

I created this poll to help gauge the level of interest for updating the FIC by members of the Finch Forum. I thought this might be a useful tool for crystal or any other mods should they desire such input.
motivation ceases to be a problem when the soul moves in the right direction.

DVBourassa
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by DVBourassa » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:11 am

It would be nice to have the "coming soon" topics completed.
-Dianna

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:42 pm

I agree that the "coming soon" pages should be updated or removed. Since most stuff on here doesn't really change, probably a couple of times a year would be enough to ensure that the info on here is current. To that end, I've gone to the tip jar and made my donation. :wink:

It would be a shame if this site became outdated/obsolete. Not just the forum that I'd hate to lose! But there is terrific information on the FIC about how to build an aviary, and the cage calculator, etc, etc, that is just terrific information that all bird lovers should have access to. But it costs money to keep a server going and takes time to update. Maybe Crystal could use some help if there are any geeks out there who can help with updating, completing some pages? Or if she had more money she could hire some help?
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:35 pm

I think that a lot of members on here that have knowledge and the capabilities of writing articles, there is a way to submit your articles on many different things go for it :)
I am very thankful that I found this site to learn about the care of my finch's

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:04 pm

I am a computer idiot... I just muddle through.. but this site is wonderful. I don't think most folks know much about the cost of running a site like this, and I dont think they know where/how to contribute, even a small amt. would help. I would gladly pay a yearly fee. Mabye a headline announcing where/how to contribute every so often would help defer the costs. Good luck and thanks for a wonderful site.
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:22 pm

Pukasand wrote:I am a computer idiot... I just muddle through.. but this site is wonderful. I don't think most folks know much about the cost of running a site like this, and I dont think they know where/how to contribute, even a small amt. would help. I would gladly pay a yearly fee. Mabye a headline announcing where/how to contribute every so often would help defer the costs. Good luck and thanks for a wonderful site.
It's quick and easy to donate, any amount you can afford - $5, $10, what ever. Look on the left whrere it say Tip Jar: help offset server costs. Just below that is a link that says "via paypal". Click on that, give them your Visa or mastercard number, and tell them how much you want to donate. Sends you a receipt to your email. I just did it. And your right, I look at it as a sort of "subscription" and I sure feel I'll get my money's worth!
Fran

-----------------------

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:18 pm

I'll be sure that Crystal sees this! Like you, I'd like to keep this an informative and dynamic site.
Hilary

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:52 am

it takes a hell of a lot of work to keep a site like this up to date. thats why I chose anually, to give the person who is doing the work more time to get all relevant information together.
maybe though if a person believes that they have information that would be of use to Crystal they could send it to her via Hilary. that way Crystal wouldnt be getting emails from all & sundry, and Hilary would also be able to proof read anything before it is passed along.
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:09 am

I'd be happy to be "proof reader"! :lol:
Hilary

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Here's a thought, and I'm not sure if it would go over here or not. But I belong to another forum called Scribbletalk. They have an optional donation policy as well, but offer a sort of "insentive" to donate. Some might call it bragging rights, others might think it's to embarass people into donating. Either way though, it does bring in donations. And it's a constant reminder to those reading the threads, that it takes money to keep the site going. Here's how it works:

For anyone who donates (any amount), they are emailed a code which they can copy into their profile (optional), that inserts a banner in their signature line. The banner says "I Support ScribbleTalk 2008". (Which reminds me, I haven't been on it in ages, and I guess it's time for another donation... :lol: )

Hilary, if you want to have a look at the forum it's at http://www.scribbletalk.com I'll try to see if I can creat a graphic of the donation page, as you can't see it or link to it unless you sign up, and check your profile page, not that I know of anyway. I think the donation page should be part of the FAQ at least, or right on the home page, as Crystal has done with Finch Info Centre.

Edit: Here's what the donation page looks like:

Anyway, it's a thought....
Fran

-----------------------

DVBourassa
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by DVBourassa » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm sure some of the people on here could write an article on one of the coming soon topics.

Here are the ones under the Health tab.

Coming Soon:
Prevention: the Best Policy
Importance of Quarantine
Importance of Hygiene
Using Disinfectants
Conditions of the Normal Finch
Recognizing a Sick Finch
First Aid for Finches
Constructing a Hospital Cage
Evaluating Finch Droppings
Common Problems, Causes & Cures
Veterinary Health Exam
Diseases & Ailments
Treatments & Dosages

Some of these should be relatively easy like Importance of Quarantine and Recognizing a Sick Finch.
With the amount of expertise on here we could help complete those coming soon topics.
-Dianna

sean
Mature
Mature

Post by sean » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:08 pm

what great brainstorming ideas every has!

perhaps with an increased "budget," the content of the site could improve?

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:38 am

only way for the budget to increase is for the members to make donations to the tip jar. I dont believe that the expenses should be covered by just one or two people
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:24 pm

[quote="mickp"]only way for the budget to increase is for the members to make donations to the tip jar. I dont believe that the expenses should be covered by just one or two people[/quotte]

I agree! I have made my donation. Sorry it took so long. Just needed to be brought to my attention. We cannot expect it to be updated and cared for unless we contribute. :lol:
Donna

sean
Mature
Mature

Post by sean » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:41 am

mickp wrote:only way for the budget to increase is for the members to make donations to the tip jar. I dont believe that the expenses should be covered by just one or two people

i agree. its a good idea for everyone to contribute. however, i think some sort of public incentive (i.e. the banner that fanny suggested) would be a nice impetus to make that happen.