South African Forum members!!

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
williep
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

South African Forum members!!

Post by williep » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:54 pm

I've been a proud member of this forum for more than a year now and always felt kinda alone in my "struggle". Although members have been very helpful and I've learned almost all I know about keeping finches on here, there was always a gap for me personally.

Most products are not available in South Africa and it made it sometimes difficult to gain access to resources, the marketplace was another topic that I thought would never be of use to.

But over the last couple of months a couple of South Africans have joined this forum and it really excites me to see more SA's getting involved with our wonderful passtime (addiction), we might be classified a 3rd world country but I haven't seen wild lions on our streets yet and we do have access to Internet! So let's get more locals involved.

If you have any suggestions or would like to contact me feel free to PM me and I'll try and get back to you.

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:53 pm

williep
Are any of you in the same area,that would be great to get together. On the forum every one is right at your finger tips but still to far away :)

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Let's hear it for South Africa... hip, hip, hooray!!! =D>
Liz

Matt
Mature
Mature

Re: South African Forum members!!

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:03 am

williep wrote:Most products are not available in South Africa
At least you have termites available to you, which is perhaps the most important ingrediant of all as far as breeding finches go. Just went and got myself a new mound this afternoon.

williep
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by williep » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Matt, you're absolutely right there. Termites are easy to come by and I believe a great ingredient to my BCCB parent raising all their clutches so far.

We have such wonderful weather and climate to raise finches in, especially in the Northern half of the country where I reside. Most breeders/keepers I come in contact with are in it REALLY big, I mean from 50 to 500 plus breeding pairs, so It's hard to find fellow "small time" aviculturists who are purely in it for the enjoyment of keeping and breeding finches. Let's hope this changes in the near future!