Post to wide?

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post to wide?

Post by B CAMP » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:13 pm

I have a question on some of the post they seem to be very wide you have to slide it to read the line ,is this a setting on mine or is this happening to others :?: :?:
Bill

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Post to wide?

Post by lovemyfinch » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:22 pm

Happening to me too. I was wondering the same thing.
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:30 pm

Ditto here!
Liz

the.puppeteer
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by the.puppeteer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:54 pm

It's due to some REALLY big pictures I believe. Usually the original pics resize themselves, but when people quote with the original pic included it ends up massive!

-Julie
Visit http://www.gardenessgardens.com
Owned by: Blue-capped Cordon Bleu, Goldbreasts, Gouldians, Owls, Pintail Whydahs, Societies, Stars, Strawberries, Zebras, 3 ferrets, 2 cats and 2 Kakariki.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:22 pm

I PMd Crystal and Hilary, as I can't figure out how to correct it. It seems to be when people do a quote, including a photo. The 'quoted photo' is huge, while the original photo is normal size. I was hoping I could edit the 'quoted photo' and get it back to the original size, but nothing works so far. On a few posts, where the 'quoted photo' was really not needed, I have just deleted the photos out of the quote.

If I get enough interest on this, I could delete all 'quoted photos' for now, which would return all posts to normal width. I know, it is a pain to have to scroll back and forth!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:30 pm

Well I am glad that I am not the only one,I just thought it could be me It don't happen all the time :)
Bill

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:31 am

I have experienced this problem on another forum.

Sally, to correct this you will need to edit each post that is doing this or have the person who created the post edit it.
the cause is as Julie said, the pictures are too big.
you need to either have Crystal or Hilary set a maximum picture size, I think 640 x 480 is about the biggest you can have safely.
If Crystal & Hilary are unable to set a maximum size you will need to have a warning put up somewhere that every member will see & read it which states the maximum size of a picture. It is then up to members posting pictures to make sure that they have reduced the size before uploading them.
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:30 am

Sally wrote:If I get enough interest on this, I could delete all 'quoted photos' for now, which would return all posts to normal width. I know, it is a pain to have to scroll back and forth!
I don't think you can change the size of a "quoted photo" so I vote to delete all "quoted photos" - since those photos would be already posted in the thread. People can simply scroll up to see the photo (if necessary); usually it's just the comment that's required in the quote. Much better to scroll up to look at a previously posted photo then to have to scroll across to read each line in a post. Thanks!
Liz

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:32 am

And Sally....... Thanks for all you do!!!!! =D> =D> :lol: :lol:
Donna

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:45 am

mickp wrote:I have experienced this problem on another forum.

Sally, to correct this you will need to edit each post that is doing this or have the person who created the post edit it.
the cause is as Julie said, the pictures are too big.
you need to either have Crystal or Hilary set a maximum picture size, I think 640 x 480 is about the biggest you can have safely.
If Crystal & Hilary are unable to set a maximum size you will need to have a warning put up somewhere that every member will see & read it which states the maximum size of a picture. It is then up to members posting pictures to make sure that they have reduced the size before uploading them.
If you attach pictures in the forum directly (with that new feature, instead of photo bucket) there IS a maximum size, and I found it quite small. I can't imagine that you can restrict the size of a picture for which you just embed a link to another site though...

I agree it would be good to advise everybody to delete the pictures from their quotes, or don't respond to a post with a picture using the quote function at all but use just the normal response button.
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks for the input--I will go thru the topics looking for quoted photos that are too wide and delete them. However, I won't be doing that till tonight--right now I need to get outside and do some lawn work before it hits 100 (heat index of 110!), then this afternoon I have got to clean this messy house! If I won the lottery, forget the fancy cars and jewelry--I want a cook and a maid!! :lol:
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:10 pm

Thank goodness someone else is having problems, too. I just chalked it up my being 'computer challenged'. :shock: :D
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:36 pm

I don't really understand why people put the quote in thier answers/replies in the first place..... I mean we just read what the person said....must we read it again? I think the average person of intelligence can follow a series of post without constantly having to be referred to what She just said.....He just said.... They just said..... Most post on this forum rarely go past 3 pages anyway.... if you took all the repeated quotes out it would probably consist of 1 page...
If you just got rid of the whole quote thing then no problems with the pictures or the repetitive paragraphs....
But then again if I develope a memory problem then I may be needed to be reminded of what was just said 4 lines ago :? :|

Cando said:
I don't really understand why people put the quote in thier answers/replies in the first place..... I mean we just read what the person said....must we read it again? I think the average person of intelligence can follow a series of post without constantly having to be referred to what She just said.....He just said.... They just said..... Most post on this forum rarely go past 3 pages anyway.... if you took all the repeated quotes out it would probably consist of 1 page...
If you just got rid of the whole quote thing then no problems with the pictures are the repetitive paragraphs....
But then again f I develope a memory problem then I may be needed to be reminded of what was just said 4 lines ago :? :|

Yeah, that's what I just said. This I guess is a pet peeve of mine... but I look at it this way..... if you can tolerate it then do....If not ...log off.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:59 pm

CandoAviary wrote:I don't really understand why people put the quote in thier answers/replies in the first place.....
Typically I will quote parts of a persons posting if I want to respond to one particular point they've made. That way people reading my post will understand that I'm not responding to the entire post but just one or two points made. :mrgreen:
Liz

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:59 pm

Now that would make a lot of sense, a quick way of making a reference to a point. I was referring to the whole post and the reposting of the same pictures over and over again.

I could figure out what you were referring to in my post by simply reading your response. Just like I am sure people reading this post will understand what I am referring to simply by the subject matter contained within. But I guess it could be helpful to some. A help in following the thread, especially if it gets high jacked and off track of the original point of the subject. Like this one................. :roll: