Art Section

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.

Should I add a Finch Art section to finchinfo.com?

Yes
92%
No
8%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes: 12

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Art Section

Post by Crystal » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:00 am

What do you guys think about adding a "Finch Art" section to finchinfo.com? I was thinking of adding a spot on the site for people to submit finch-related artwork (digital productions or scans of: sketches, doodles, paintings, drawings, sculptures, etc.). I am not sure how many finch keepers also like to dabble in art, but I thought it might bring an element of creativity and visitor interactivity to the site. I might even be able to hold little contests in the future. I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not this would probably be welcomed or a "flop," or any other suggestions for how to make it work, if you have any.

Thanks for any input :)

Winston
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Winston » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:12 pm

I think it sounds fun. But maybe not enough people would get involved? -Although I certainly would. Btw, is that a vector image?

:)

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:59 pm

It is a rasterized photoshop image pretending to be a vector image, but actually looking more like crappy clipart, haha.

I tried to teach myself vector art last night but I have no Adobe Illustrator--it is *possible* to do in photoshop (which I do have) using the pen tool set to shapes, but until last night I had never worked with the pen tool, and let me tell you that thing has a mind of its own! Before I was done tracing the first outline IT decided to "finish" for me and prematurely connect the end of my working line to the beginning--and I was too tired to mess with it any further. I am going to give it another go today and hopefully create real vector art that looks at least a little more detailed than that image.

Since I am redesigning the look of the site (by necessity as I'm converting it to PHP and removing the frames--leading to minor integrity problems without a redesign), I thought vector art might be a viable option to keep the site attractive yet professional looking. If I can't create a design I like better than the one I have now though, I suppose people viewing the site at any resolution smaller or bigger than 1024x768 are just going to have to deal with its imperfections. :/

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:35 pm

Crystal wrote: Since I am redesigning the look of the site

I hope that doesn't mean you'll be replacing the cartoony birds. They are so darn cute!
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Winston
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Winston » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:36 pm

I agree with Tammie, the birds are cute. I think the owl finch is my favourite. :)

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:07 pm

Yes, its such a happy looking bird. I think your owl drawing is great. I wish I knew more about computer art. I voted yes so I can see others' creative works even if I don't submit my own.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:06 pm

tammieb wrote:
Crystal wrote: Since I am redesigning the look of the site

I hope that doesn't mean you'll be replacing the cartoony birds. They are so darn cute!
Oh! I didn't mean the look of these forums; I meant I'm going to have to change the look of www.finchinfo.com since it has frames (which is why the menu on the left is stationary while you scroll down).

Sorry for any confusion!

And thank you :) The owl cracks me up; it definitely came out better than I was expecting it to.

JeannetteD
Mature
Mature

Post by JeannetteD » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:09 pm

I like the little Cordie cartoon myself..

I dabble in drawing.. sketching, pencil art, but yeah.. it sounds like a great idea.

Maybe i'll break out my watercolor pencils and see if I can figure out how to use the damn things..

Jeannette

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:51 pm

I've looked for finch art online (I know, I know, it's really sad.....), so I think it's a great idea. The artistic gene totally skipped me, but I can certainly enjoy the creative efforts of others!! Hilary

MadHatter
Nestling
Nestling

Post by MadHatter » Wed May 24, 2006 7:41 am

I'm all for it!
Hell, it'd probably be the impetus i need to plug my wacom back in...

On a side note, I am probably the only one who -isn't- all that keen on the cartoony birds... :shock: They are undoubtedly very cute, but to me 'cute' equates to 'childish' and so the site doesnt really look like at place for serious, intelligent finch discussion....
Or it could boil right down to the fact that i'm a bloke, and its all just a bit too effeminate for my tastes. :roll:

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed May 24, 2006 1:03 pm

Actually Mad, it is exactly for that reason that I didn't redesign finchinfo.com to look like this forum. I figured a forum was more of a laid back community-type atmosphere so "cute" might be okay, but for finchinfo proper, I wanted a more professional/serious look.

Gaviota
Hatchling
Hatchling

Good idea

Post by Gaviota » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:35 pm

I think its a good idea for those who enjoy drawing :wink: .