Just an idea ....

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
FinchDegg
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Just an idea ....

Post by FinchDegg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:52 pm

Its merely this ....

Does or would it cost anything to add an instant chat box to the site ? The reason i ask is i personally think this would "complete" this forum, instead of people (who are online at the time) communicating with eachother via pms or posts, they could speak directly to others wether regarding problems, successes or everyday chit chat ...
Obviously i dont think this suits all sites, but 1 with such a friendly environment such as this 1 i think it would make a superb "upgrade" to the site ...

Just my opinion, i just thought i would put it out there :) as usual :)
2 Crystal White Zebs,2 Fawn Zebs,1 Pied Zeb, 2 Societies,1 Shafttail, 6 Zeb Eggs Incubating

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Just an idea ....

Post by cindy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:08 pm

It could be made a separate option (like the map) and if you wanted to use the feature it would work for you, if not than than just do as we have been. There are time when I wish an instant chat to get info right away would be helpful.

I would use it. I brought this up a while ago but no one was interested. It would be like Instant messanger or meebo but only within our forum.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:57 am

speaking from experience with chat/shout boxes on forums, they are very hard for the administrators & moderators to control.
as the first rule that has to be applied and agreed upon by everyone is no talking about birds in there. the reason for this is that the forum would not get as many people creating posts, which is why the forum was initially created.
what would members rather have a new post/topic saying that someone has new birds, or a health question or have it appear in the chat box.
I know I would much prefer the post/topic. at least with these you can do a search to find information that was posted months/years earlier. with the chat box it is gone within days
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:09 am

This site does offer the PM which is a great way to communicate with someone of things not interesting to all the members of that post.
But then again, there does seem to be an awful lot of apologizes for hijacking post..... Seems to me many of the posts are turned into chat rooms anyway. Whether intentionally, from defensive rhetoric, or just the need to "chat'.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:22 am

Aim, meebo and twitter are very fast and I think people like the speed of it. You can see who is on based on your friends list and instantly chat back and forth.

We do hi jack a lot but most are understanding of it. We could set a twitter account up but that means getting off the forum site...it would be nice if it was included as a chat feature. PM's sometimes take awhile, also some chats can be done off the cells phones like a text if someone needed to get with someone asap.
Last edited by cindy on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

~ My Facebook groups ~

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:29 am

The way it is you have a ton of infomation at your finger tips to search and everyone can learn and help each other from the post.
Bill

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:38 am

Bill I think what some would like to have something other than pm/email or an open discussion is a private "text" type conversation.

It would be easy to do, the other option is to go into the profile for those that want to use AOL Instant messanger, MSM Messanger add your screen/chat name and then work off that site along side of the forum. It would mean going back and forth if you wanted to use both at the same time, but that is one way to do it. I also have the aim feature connected to my BlacBerry text feature, it is free with my plan. It is almost immediate...you can use AIM Express.

It may be helpful to have an instant message sent to someone that may be able to help in an emergency with a finch, alerting a memeber that can help to log onto the forum with a possible solution.

~ My Facebook groups ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Ok, I just got into AIM Exprees pulled up my account, I have two addresses one to my phone and one to my computer at the house. I sent one from the house to the phone, minimized the screen, got back on the forum. When the message arrived both on the phone (it also shows up on the computer) the bar at the bottom flashes to alert you of a message.

Instead of adding it to the forum site you can work the forum and AIM side by side for those interested in doing so, that way if someone has a heated debate (it can be aired privately without the moderators and all to see) or just friendly private converstaion or a private question they want to get an immediate response to without using pm (which may go to your email to alert you of a pm, if you don't check your email often there is always a delay in responses).

This is a suggestion in order to leave the forum intact. We do have the option of adding it to the profile, just add your screen name then add whoever invites you to chat to your friends list on AIM Express.

~ My Facebook groups ~

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:23 pm

Cindy,

I agree with the others, that it is more beneficial to have questions, etc. posted to the forum, so that everyone can benefit from the answers. Too much discussion via PM or IM means that most members won't benefit.

For this reason I think that the option in your profile to include your personal IM information is good enough. It is there for members to use if they want/prefer when it's concerning something that is not for all eyes. Or, I can see where it could come in handy when there's an urgent need to get a hold of someone, but I would hope that you would also post your question, and any helpful answers received, to the forum, once the "emergency" is taken care of. That way the other members can learn from it, too. :)
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Most of the time I don't really bother with aim since I text my girls off my phone. When I turn the computer on I go right for my email and the forum, I leave both up. My phone tells me when I get an email and I can go over and check the computer at lunch time or before dinner. I can answer my emails via the cell also so I really don't use aim like I used to.

It is in the profile section so if anyone wants to use it add your screen name. If someone chooses to use it for a private conversation it is there and the forum can remain as is, just work off two screens one the forum and the other aimexpress if you choose.

I do think what would happen if it was added to the forum as an option we would get little groups branching off and it would take away some of the fun and importance of some of the topics.

Like I said I tried the AIM screen side by side, it is a little trouble to go between the two screens but if someone is interested in doing that they can try it.

~ My Facebook groups ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:34 pm

And then you have an old folk like me who still doesn't know how to use all the features of her computer, and to whom tweet and twitter are bird sounds! And AIM is really scary, as in ready, aim, fire! :lol: It took me months of lurking on my first forum before I dared even post. :oops: :lol:
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Honestly, I think is we started a chat feature on the forum I would miss everyone! I used aim a lot years ago but now with new phones I text on that, so AIM fell by the way side.

~ My Facebook groups ~

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 pm

I agree with what was said. Even if chatting would be fun, the disadvantage is that you can't search the conversations or just read them later at your own time.
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:04 pm

I think in the end it would take away from the forum :(
Bill

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:29 pm

I think it would take away from the forum, too. I know I learn all the time from the various posts that are made, and I often use the search feature to go back and find something I remember reading a while back.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org