Copyrighted Pictures

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Copyrighted Pictures

Post by cindy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:24 am

Just out of curiousity, how do you tell if pictures are copyrighted. I had posted a picture and it was pointed out to me that it was copyrighted. When I went to go remove it I noticed tiny white letters in the corner. I have also seen pictures theat have words across it, I also noticed members do the same with their pictures.

How do you get the words or markings to show on your pictures you don't want others to use?

And if a picture on the web does not have any marks or names on it can you use it to post as an example for a subject on a thread?

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Re: Copyrighted Pictures

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:29 am

I think any pictures posted on any website should not be posted to any other website (unless it states clearly that the photos may be copied and/or used). It's easy and preferred to simply post the URL link within a posting which will lead the viewer to the photo in the website being referred to.

You can add text to any photo in lots of software (ie - Photoshop).
Liz

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:30 am

Thank you Liz...I use a lot of pictures sometimes! :lol:

~ My Facebook groups ~

Finch Fry
Expecting
Expecting

Post by Finch Fry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:31 am

all pictures are inherently copyrighted by the originator. Mark or not. Some use stamps or watermarks on their images to prevent you from using it since if you took it and used it for whatever purpose you wanted, its likely they would never know. Unless you are the originator of the photo or have explicit written (verbal works but is less concrete) consent, you shouldnt be posting or using the image.
Goulds, Owls, Gold Breasts, Stars, Zebras, Societies
An obscene number of chicks and eggs
And an incredibly rare St. Goldena Breast finch
Anyone want some finches???
-Chris 8-[

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 am

Even if it is from a catalog or online catalog pet supply store?

~ My Facebook groups ~

Finch Fry
Expecting
Expecting

Post by Finch Fry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:35 am

yes

link to it so people go to that website
Goulds, Owls, Gold Breasts, Stars, Zebras, Societies
An obscene number of chicks and eggs
And an incredibly rare St. Goldena Breast finch
Anyone want some finches???
-Chris 8-[

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:41 am

Cindy,

I haven't done it for ages, but most photo editing software will let you add a copyright right into the image. But it depends what software you have, as to how it's done. It's like inserting another layer of text that's semi transparent, over your image.

(There's also a way in some programs to insert a "digital" watermark which states information about the copyright, but I've never used this.)

As to an unmarked image having no copyright, that isn't always the case. If a website states somewhere on the site that all images are copyrighted by the photographer or artist, then even without the copyright mark you can't copy them. If unsure, best to just email the site and ask permission to use.

As an artist, I know that I own the copyright to my original works, regardless of whether or not I have marked them as such.

If linking to a catalogue or site where someone can purchase the item, I don't think this would be an issue. You are sending traffic their way, so how can they object? :)
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:43 am

Finch Fry wrote:yes

link to it so people go to that website
Agreed - post the link to direct readers/viewers to the website for photos and/or articles of any kind.

I would be very upset if people copy and posted pics/articles from my website to any other website. But if they posted my URL(s) - I would be proud! It's a big difference.
Liz

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:50 am

Thanks just want to make sure from now on links to URL's...thanks everyone!!!

~ My Facebook groups ~

mike
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by mike » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:12 pm

As stated, all media in any form is copyrighted, regardless of where it is (e.g.: online, catalog, Facebook, etc.) Additional exceptions along with those stated above are media posted in the Wikipedia commons.

I few years back I posted some images on a forum. They were watermarked with my website and everything. While searching online I found a Japanese site that had taken a few of my images and removed the watermark. I promptly contacted them to have the images removed and they did, after about a week. Another time I found my image posted on an unrelated forum by a stranger and when others on that forum asked if they were allowed to cross post it to their own website, she told them it's fine because she found the picture on the internet. Well I joined that forum to quickly remind her and everyone else that the images are not free to cross post. Frankly, I didn't really care that people were using the pics and I told them that. But I did want them to credit the source (me) and they did.

But truthfully, if your pic is swiped off the internet, and the thief still won't remove the pic after you contact them. There isn't much you can do. The costs for the legal fight aren't worth it and thieves know that few people will spend money to do it; unless it's a dirty pic or something.

Anyway, your built-in Windows Paint can do some easy watermarks for you. Not exactly the best but still. You can probably find free watermark software online, too. I think most free photo editing software will do simple watermarks.

This is the picture that girl took. Isn't he cute? I put up for free on the Wiki Commons now so you can pass it around ;)
Mike
2 Finch-eating cats