Highlighted words

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Highlighted words

Post by dfcauley » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Does anybody know what is going on with the words that appear highlighted when you make a post? It is really strange.........
Donna

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Highlighted words

Post by Sally » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:08 am

Donna, I went back and looked at the last couple of posts you did, and nothing shows up highlighted on my monitor.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:15 am

Sally wrote:Donna, I went back and looked at the last couple of posts you did, and nothing shows up highlighted on my monitor.

Well I have noticed it on several other post. And if you click on the word..... an advertisement comes up.
:? :?
Donna

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:09 am

I've not seen any highlighted words in any post either, Donna. Can you post a link to the thread where the words are highlighted?
Liz

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:34 am

I know that some people can put just a highlighted word and when you click on it, you go to the link they are talking about, but this should only be for finch-related links. I'm with Liz, if you can tell us which post links to advertisements, we need to clean that up, that sounds like spam.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Finch Fry
Expecting
Expecting

Post by Finch Fry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 am

Its a virus / malware on your pc most likely Donna. It just scans the words on your screen and links you to stuff to sell you things based on what that word means.

Have you recently installed anything to your computer?
Goulds, Owls, Gold Breasts, Stars, Zebras, Societies
An obscene number of chicks and eggs
And an incredibly rare St. Goldena Breast finch
Anyone want some finches???
-Chris 8-[

FinchDegg
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by FinchDegg » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:35 pm

Sounds more like spyware to me ... if your computer runs on windows, update windows defender and run a scan, alternatively download yahoo antispy to your toolbar and run (very good way of deleting tracking cookies etc) alternatively if your looking for free antivirus for life download AVG from filehippo.com.

Hope this helps, any other computer probs just pm me peeps :)
2 Crystal White Zebs,2 Fawn Zebs,1 Pied Zeb, 2 Societies,1 Shafttail, 6 Zeb Eggs Incubating

Finch Fry
Expecting
Expecting

Post by Finch Fry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:22 pm

FinchDegg wrote:Sounds more like spyware to me ...
FYI...spyware is a form of malware.

Donna, personal preference but I highly do not recommend loading on more software to solve the problem. If you just recall the last piece of software that you installed or the last thing you did prior to the problem starting, you should be able to correct it by uninstalling or undoing what you did. Try deleting temporary internet files and deleting all cookies directly from the browser. If ALL of that fails, then you would want to consider using a tool for removing malware. I would also second the choice of AVG... a solid working and trusted and free antivirus software.
Goulds, Owls, Gold Breasts, Stars, Zebras, Societies
An obscene number of chicks and eggs
And an incredibly rare St. Goldena Breast finch
Anyone want some finches???
-Chris 8-[

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Donna,

It's most likely nothing serious but just an add-on in your internet explorer. I remember I had that problem once that whenever there was a phone number listed in the text it automatically turned into a link and wanted me to call that phone number automatically with some program. Very annoying! Unfortunately I can't remember how I got rid of it eventually. One thing it could be is if you have Yahoo installed, they give you all sort of these add-ons. I almost believe that was my problem. (I don't use Yahoo anymore because they install all sorts of things.)

What you could try is go to your internet explorer Tools > Manage Add-ons > Enable or Disable Add-ons. If any add-ons sound like they could cause that you could disable them.

In any case, it's nothing that any forum member adds to the text, it's your explorer that displays it that way.
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks all. I am glad I am not going crazy here. The words are still highlighted, but I am just ignoring them. :lol:
Donna