Question to moderators about avatar pictures

For questions about this forum or affiliated finch websites.
Ursula
Proven
Proven

Question to moderators about avatar pictures

Post by Ursula » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:57 pm

Can we use ANY picture from the internet as avatar, or do they have to be our own or somebody's who gave permission to use it?
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Re: Question to moderators about avatar pictures

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:25 pm

If you have permission to use a pic - I don't see why not.
Liz

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:26 pm

This is a more a "moral" issue than a forum issue. If you claim pics as your own it is outright wrong, but if you find a pic you like on the internet that isn't your own I don't see a reason you can't use it. I've used millions of pictures from the internet for avatars or designs, but nothing I've ever resold or claimed as my own. If the owner of the pic says he does not allow anyone to use them unless permission is granted, I would ask for permission or get a picture elsewhere. But the chances of the owner of the pictures finding your avatar are so incredibly slim anyway.
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:28 pm

This person is not claiming the pic as their own - they said they have permission to use it from the owner.

I guess the permission may have to be 'in writing/email' but I'll let Sally or Hilary post their views.
Liz

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:36 pm

I believe Ursula meant she wants to use a pic that she does not have permission to use. Probably just a pic she found on a Google search.
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:31 pm

I'm sorry - I read the original posting wrong!

To use any picture found on the internet created by someone else - you need to have the owner's permission in writing.

Ideally avatar's should be your own creation IMHO.

Thank you Domenic!
Liz

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:19 am

Everyone,including myself post pictures on the public web..if they're copied... so what, they are in the public arena.
Pictures 'borrowed' for commercial reasons are another matter.
I don't imagine for one moment any picture copied for use on a forum would result in a complaint in a hundred years unless money were involved,or associated with a nasty subject.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 pm

Many of the websites will have disclaimers stating that all content is copyrighted, and in those cases, we can't use their photos or text. It is a gray area with things that are not listed as copyrighted. I mean, if someone posts something on Facebook or Youtube, aren't they implicitly giving permission for anyone to look at it and pass it on?

I think if I post photos on Photoshop, but I don't make my albums public, then that implies that I don't want them passed around the internet. However, in society today, many people post photos, blogs, etc, that they want the whole world to see or read.

As Paul said, photos 'borrowed' for commercial purposes would be a definite no-no. Text copied from a book would be copyright infringement--they want you to buy the book. Photos by commercial photographers would be a no-no--again, the photographer wants you to buy his/her photos.

So we just have to be careful with some things we post. If I see a copyright mark, then that item has to be linked, not posted, unless the author gave permission. I have seen things on craigslist where the person says the item is 'just like the one in the picture', which they got in a Google search, but they aren't claiming the pictured item is actually theirs.

Have I muddied the waters enough? :lol:
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks, all! Actually, it wasn't me who wanted to use a picture from a web site. I don't think I would personally use a picture as avatar that I didn't take myself, that's why I also wanted to hear everybody else's opinion...
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:54 pm

This is one I use...the 'Boo' is mine..

Image :D :D :D

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:04 pm

=D> :lol:

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:36 pm

This subject came up on another forum I frequent, and I believe that the consensus was that unless the owner specifically indicates that the photo is available for use it is NOT. I've had somebody lift photos from my website and use them on her own site, and quickly put a stop to that.
Hilary