New Finches - Goldbreasts and Fire Finches!!

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

New Finches - Goldbreasts and Fire Finches!!

Post by Sally » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:59 pm

Just added to my collection. Made a trip to Baltimore and picked up a pair of Goldbreast waxbills I had purchased from a breeder there. While in the area, went to visit a bird importer--what an experience!! Hundreds of birds of all kinds--a finch lover's paradise. I came home with two more pairs of Goldbreasts and two pair of Senegal Fire finches. Hilary, I don't know how you stand it, living in that area--I would be so broke.

My cages are the standard 1/2" bar spacing, so I knew I would have problems with these little escape artists. I managed to find some used breeding cages with 1"x1/2" mesh spacing, and I still had to go over them looking for escape holes. These were used for canary breeding, so divided, but with the divider out, they are 34x18x18, so a nice size. I have about decided to try to make my own cages out of 1/2"x1/2" mesh, so I can have them just how I want. Meanwhile, I spend waay too much time just sitting and watching these little jewels--incredibly tiny. Off to dinner--shall I have Ramen noodles, or splurge on a PB&J sandwich?

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:05 pm

I love it! :lol: Congrats, Sally! The importer - was it Murad? His place will definitely blow your mind. You walk around muttering "I know I can fit those cubans somewhere. But then what about the red eyes? And GOD those blue headed parrots are beautiful...." I cut newspaper and taped it along some of my wider spaces between cage bars, and actually did go to Home Depot and bought 1/2" fencing that I can use over my current cages to reinforce (though I still have a cup of water and seed on top of the cage in case of breakouts during the day - I'm so paranoid! :lol: ) Glad you found cages that will work!

I had ramen....
Hilary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:07 pm

Yes, it was Murad. It was incredible! Finches I had only seen in pictures. Birds that I didn't even know the name of. Everywhere I looked, something else to marvel at. And the huge outdoor aviary with hundreds of birds living together. Makes you want at least a pair of everything he has. I've never had anything quite so tiny as these Goldbreasts--they make my Strawberries look big! So far, they are doing fine, and have even sampled some of my homemade eggbread chopped up with broccoli.

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:31 am

The goldbreasts and firefinches are beautiful. I've wanted to get a pair of both these species, but they are so expensive! $200 per pair here. Right now I'm broke and the only way I get new finches is to either sell babies or sell something I have. Plus I have enough birds for now. When I can afford another flight cage, then I may get more.

I recently acquired a pair of cut throats, and the male has the most interesting/unique song I've ever heard. They are very skiddish, but I think it is b/c they are wild finches directly imported. I have them alone in their own cage as I've heard they can be aggressive.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:33 pm

Yes, these wild (imported) finches are much more skittish than our domesticated ones. Of the six Goldbreasts, two are domestic, and even without looking for the leg bands, I can tell which ones they are, as they are so much calmer than the others. I'm hoping the others learn from these two--though I'm surprised how quickly they all have settled into their cages.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:38 pm

Sally, did you use regular finch bands on the goldbreasts? I banded my two pairs when I brought them home, but within an hour two of them had managed to get rid of the bands.
Hilary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 pm

Hilary, the man that I bought the domestic pair from put bands on them, so they wouldn't get mixed up with the wild ones till I got them home. I think he said he put size A on them, and they still will come off sometimes.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:52 pm

Do they look like the basic band that you can buy 10 to a little stick? Mine are paired off in separate cages so I'm not too concerned, but I have a friend who also recently got two pairs who will have to keep hers together.
Hilary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:58 pm

I just checked the NFSS site, and the A size is in the closed aluminum bands, and is listed for the smaller waxbills - it is 2.20mm in size. The next size, B, is 2.40mm and is listed for CBs, etc. In the plastic leg bands, the smallest size is XF, which is 2.33mm in size, and covers everything from waxbills to Zebras. These are plastic leg bands on the birds, so they must be XF size. I bought some soft plastic leg bands on eBay which I love, but they are in one size only, and way too big for even Strawberries (the bands didn't come off, the toes went part way thru--lucky I was checking on them and saw their predicament!).