Society finches are breeding again

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Society finches are breeding again

Post by Icearstorm » Tue May 02, 2017 7:59 am

There are three females and one male in the enclosure now, which all take turns incubating in pairs. They have had two clutches of eight before, making a total of 5-6 eggs per female this season, so a safe amount for them to lay one more clutch. In the past, only 1-2 were fertile, and the first clutch failed due to an egg-eater (she has since been removed). The lone bird from the second clutch did well and is currently weaning. A few days ago, I checked and found five eggs, but accidentally broke one when removing a piece of nesting material that made it difficult for them to get in. The missing egg must have messed them up, because now there are ten eggs...
Attachments
HOW many eggs?
HOW many eggs?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Society finches are breeding again

Post by lovezebs » Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 am

Icearstorm

Oh boy...

You might hit the baby jackpot if they all hatch, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue May 02, 2017 8:23 am

lovezebs

Now that would be a sight... Just imagine the male trying to feed all those fledglings :lol:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue May 02, 2017 8:30 am

Icearstorm

Moms, would have to pitch in on the feedings, lol. Otherwise poor dad would be run off his feet and mobbed by screaming babies each time he sat still for a second.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue May 02, 2017 4:32 pm

lovezebs

I hope so!

I don't know if it's because the baby is an only bird, but it hasn't been particularly demanding. It begged barely audibly until a couple of days before fledging, and generally only started begging after it was fed. Now it doesn't beg at all, even though the male occasionally feeds it.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed May 03, 2017 3:18 pm

Now there are eleven... WHEN WILL THEY STOP?

I candled a few, and two have strong heartbeats. Considering that a pulse can only be seen after a few days, it looks like fertility is higher this time around.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri May 05, 2017 7:40 pm

lovezebs

It looks like you may be right; I candled the eggs and at least seven are fertile. Unfortunately they all got freaked out and ditched the nest for about half an hour; will the eggs be okay? It's about 80°F here.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri May 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Icearstorm

The eggs should be fine, no worries :D
~Elana~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri May 05, 2017 8:16 pm

lovezebs

That's good to hear... Now what am I going to do with all those babies?

Everything seemed fine with the Javas (I arrived at the conclusion that they just get stressed out by me), so I tried to introduce them to the flight, but they panicked along with the society finches. I removed them and put them back in the quarantine cage, and the societies soon went back to the nest. Half an hour later, I put the female Java in again, and no one freaked out this time. I should be able to keep a close eye on them for the next two days, so if she makes much of a disturbance, I'll remove her again. I might add the male tomorrow if everyone stays calm.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri May 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Icearstorm

When you have birds on eggs, it's not the best time to introduce new birdies into a flight. It will freak them out, plus you never know if the new birds might not harm the eggs or the parents who will try to protect their nest.
~Elana~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri May 05, 2017 8:38 pm

lovezebs
I am aware of that, but unfortunately I haven't got the larger cage usable yet (it's missing the part that keeps the birds from escaping), and the quarantine cage is much to small for more than a few days, at around one cubic foot in volume... I'm afraid the Javas' muscles are going to atrophy, considering how much sitting around and doing nothing they have been limited to for the last two weeks.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri May 05, 2017 8:47 pm

Icearstorm

What part of the cage is missing?
~Elana~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri May 05, 2017 9:00 pm

lovezebs

There's supposed to be a grate and another metal dish. I tried moving the tray up to close the gap, but the only way to get it in is to angle it about thirty degrees upward, which doesn't exactly work well. I'll have to attach a piece of plywood or metal across the bottom to get it so the birds don't just slip out.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon May 15, 2017 4:19 pm

lovezebs

BABIES!!!
Attachments
image.jpeg

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Mon May 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Icearstorm

Congratulations! Can't wait to see how many hatch!!!
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels