Bird Noises

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Bird Noises

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Denise
It sounds like Laser sings 3-4 notes and Tacocat sings 4-6. They sing rather quickly, so it's hard to tell.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Bird Noises

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Another thing I noticed; my female society finches seem to have one call exclusive to them, and I'm not talking about the contact call that differs between the sexes. It has the scratchiness of the nesting call, but is faster, louder, and not repetitive ("phrase" only said once, rather than repeating "chip!" or "chirrup!" of distress call or "rehrehreh" of nesting call).

It's a sort of displeased call I guess, and I only hear it when another bird tries to land on one of them. Usually this is when a male society tries to mount one against their will, but I also heard it when one of my Java finches almost landed on Prisma. This might be the same call that the female societies occasionally use when I pick them up, though I'll have to pay a bit more attention.

I know that I've heard this call from both the Euro X American societies, Prisma and Macbeth, but I can't remember if I heard it from my two American females.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to get the noise on video, considering that the situations that I hear it are uncommon and brief.