I have newborns again--finally

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
tina
Mature
Mature

I have newborns again--finally

Post by tina » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:38 am

Seems like forever since I have had some newborn zebra finches, but I found them in the nest this morning. They are very recently hatched, either yesterday or today. I am pretty excited about it since it feels like forever since I have had any babies from my zebra finches. Father is recessive silver, mother is fawn. No idea what the babies will turn out to be. All the liturature says Cream, but I will wait and see.
Thank you,
Tina

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:38 pm

Congrats!

Unless your fawn hen is split for silver (and/or if your silver male is split for fawn), I am willing to bet that the babies will be grey. Males will be split for fawn (sex-linked) and all babies will be split for recessive silver (autosomal).

I could be wrong though (it's been a while since I've bred mutation zebras), so keep us updated when the babies fledge and molt into adult colors!

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:30 pm

Will do. This is the first breeding for me with these 2 birds as well so it is anyones guess.
I know my male has the most lovely burgandy colored flankes. It is striking to me anyway. Hard to see the color in his pictures though.
Thank you,
Tina

Beep
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Beep » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:05 pm

Congrats. Hmmm, I haven't even gotten far enough to think about possible color variations from breedings. I'm just settling for healthy at the moment.

Beep
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Beep » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:59 pm

How are they doing Tina?

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:17 pm

All 4 hatchlings are doing great and covered in some gray soft downy feathers now. Mom and dad fled the nest when I was cleaning this mornign so I got a peek. They are all the same size and feather right now. Their bodies are still very light in color. It is still a mystery for a while yet LOL.
Thank you,
Tina

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:29 pm

They are starting to get pin feathers on the wings now. I still have a hard time believing how fast they grow. They all look pretty much identical from my limited view point right now. Their screeching is getting louder every day too. It is a very good sign.
Thank you,
Tina

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:06 am

I feel really blessed again because yesterday my Chestnut flanked whites hatched thier firstborn baby yesterday. They have 4 more eggs to hatch. But I am really encouraged by this now.

My society babies are nearing fledgling time, they have various colored young in the nest I can hardly wait to see them fully where I can get some good pics of them. my week old zebras are doing great and now newborns from my cfw zebras. I only wish my black cheek would sit on her eggs for the entire time, she always stops sitting after a week. It frustrates me because I was hoping to intergrate the black cheek and the cfw lines.

I have 1 older pair of society finches on zebra eggs right now as a test run for fostering, so hopefully I can get my black cheek finches by fostering them, but currently the zebra eggs they are sitting on are from a silver hen and normal gray male. So far they are sitting tight on the eggs, and I think it may work out for future fosterings of my black cheek babies. In any case I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will raise all zebra eggs to hatch and then care for the babies. This is my first time trying to foster with them.
Thank you,
Tina

Beep
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Beep » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:49 am

Wow, from dry spell to full blown maternity ward in the space of a few weeks. Have you been playing soft music and using candle light in the aviary lately? LOL

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:00 pm

Actually yes LOL. My sister brought me a stereo on Thanksgiving day, and since the bird are all located in an area considered to be my living room, they are hearing the music all day until dinner time. Prior to this I had no music playing in their area, and only 1 successful hatching from Zebra finches and that was over the summer, and 1 from society finches and that was almost 3 weeks ago.

Oh yes, my first society baby just fledged fromt he nest. The others where pushing him/her from behind too. It was quite a sight to see and Mom and Dad where calling and calling to the baby, and out it popped. I quickly got it color banded and replaced back into the cage with mom and dad, and dad gave him/her some food and somehow the baby got up on a perch. I did not see cause my back was turned getting the camera ready for first picture. It was very exciting.
Thank you,
Tina

tina
Mature
Mature

Update on zebra finch babies color

Post by tina » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:53 am

The babies are nearing fledling age next week, and they appear to be a light shade of color close to the father, or mother. 1 of them appears to be pied too which the parents did not show a trait for at all. I was very surprised. Can hardly wait until they fledge now.
Thank you,
Tina

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Very exciting!

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:22 pm

Here is the update on all the zebra hatchlings as of today:

My silver and fawn hatchling: Only 2 of them survived to fledge today. 1 died a week ago and the parents covered the body in the nest. Yuk. And 1 died yesterday, it had no food in the crop when I removed it. Poor baby, if I had known they where not feeding that one I would have tried to handfeed it. Of the 2 remaining they are both very healthy looking and are not the normal gray color, but 1 is a silver-fawn, and the other is a silver pied. The one that died yesterday was also a silver-fawn.

My Cfw's hatched only 1 egg of five and that hatchling is growing and now has pin feathers. It appears to more then likely be a female, but will know more when it fledges around Christmas day.

Sorry I cannot get pics right now since my camera has eaten all the AA batteries in the house right now. It kinda depresses me, cause I love getting pictures of all the newest babies.
Thank you,
Tina

Beep
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Beep » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:03 pm

It's always sad to hear about the losses, but good to hear that there are others doing well.

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:01 am

Thanks.
Thank you,
Tina