Finally Bought a New Zebra

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Kamoodle
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Finally Bought a New Zebra

Post by Kamoodle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:14 pm

After two months of Belle's passing, I finally adopted another zebra finch, a female. To be honest I wanted to get a male because I miss their singing, yet my dad doesn't want my birds to start breeding and laying eggs. Plus my little Faline has never been triggered to lay eggs by any males, including her daddy, and I'd rather keep it that way to prevent egg binding. I was content with having only Faline for awhile, and even though she loves talking to me I knew she needed a new companion to chat with whenever I'm not in the mood. It also annoys my dad. :D

Partial reason for the delay was my local PetSmart store didn't have zebra finches available for several weeks. Either they don't always stock new birds every week or they get bought right away.

Sorry if I don't have any pictures currently. Tomorrow when there's better daylight, I will get an improved shot of my new finch.

The mutation of this bird is quite new to me, as she is white with a brown back and head. When I first noticed the zebra finches at the store today, I thought they accidentally stuck a society finch in with the zebras since the societies were beside them in another small aviary. Yet, she beeps just like a zebra finch.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Finally Bought a New Zebra

Post by lovezebs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:14 pm

Kamoodle

Congratulations on your new baby =D> .

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the little lady.

From what you describe, she could be a Pied Zebra (?)
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Kamoodle
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Kamoodle » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:36 pm

Got some pics of the new bird.

https://imgur.com/yn9lqb0
https://imgur.com/ie0PcOo

Not sure why she's been looking lethargic today, as she has everything she needs. Yesterday she was quite acrobatic and jumping around at places no other bird has done, and she slept fine in her new nest last night. I wonder if she somehow misses her mate back at the store, as those two had fun making a nest together.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:14 pm

Kamoodle

A very sweet looking bird.

She looks sleepy, are you sure she's alright?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Kamoodle
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Kamoodle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:27 pm

I think so. I want to assume she was still adapting to her new environment and dealing with the stress. After taking those pictures though, she actually beeped and moved around actively as normal. Earlier today she seemed somewhat down again, but that changed after I started talking to them. Even made a short video of her and Faline beeping simultaneously over a small recording of my zebra finches making noise.

I might merge the two birds together, because the new bird wanted to move in with Faline instead of in her new cage the day I bought her. Yet, I don't think Faline will appreciate that.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Kamoodle

I would give them time to adjust before making introductions, and keep an eye on the newbie.

When birds look 'down', they're usually not feeling 100%.
~Elana~

Kamoodle
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Kamoodle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:00 pm

Should I have bought her mate as well? I know my dad will decline, but I've taken care of several birds at once and I do have a third cage I'll gladly put the male in for a few days. My dad does need to stop manipulating what I do, especially since I can buy my own birds now. What do you think?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:42 am

Kamoodle

Sweetie, I am not getting in the middle between you and your Dad [-X no way, lol.

What I was concerned about, is that she might be unwell, and would keep an eye on her for that reason.
~Elana~

Kamoodle
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Kamoodle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 am

I understand, and it would be concerning if she is under the weather at the moment. I know that birds don't really show their illness until they're really sick. After all she has shown how active and social she can be, and I already love the little darling to bits.