African Firefinch

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

African Firefinch

Post by Rob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:35 pm

I picked these two up almost two weeks ago. Can someone help me identify the exact species? I'm inclined to think they're red-billed.

They are a joy to watch, and I have watched the attraction between them grow over the last week. I put my lavender finch in with them who gets along just fine with them most of the time, but in the evening when he's gone to bed he's annoyed by these two "lovebirds" flying around near him.
20171109_163825.jpg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: African Firefinch

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes, African Red-billed Fire Finches (Lagonosticta senegala).

Beautiful tiny birds.

I had two brothers for the longest time some years back, then lost one and got a female from Ed, but for whatever the reason they never bred for me. Then I lost my other male as well :( and never replaced him.

Where did you get yours from?
Attachments
IMG_20171019_074517.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:58 pm

lovezebs

I got them from Ed :)

The last few days I've seen the male flying around with small strings of burlap or rafia grass in his mouth, the two of them side by side on perches, grooming each other, and just last night I believe I saw them mating. So we'll see.

My daughter named the male Sherlock and I've named the female Mrs. Hudson (Sherlock's landlady ha)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:33 am

Rob

It sounds like your kids might be interested in breeding :-BD .

I hope they present you with lovely babies.
Let me know, as I might be interested.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~