Breeding pairs

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Sphenald
Pip
Pip

Breeding pairs

Post by Sphenald » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:56 am

Should all breeding pairs be kept in separate cages.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Breeding pairs

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:20 am

Sphenald

What species of finch are you breeding?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:16 am

Sphenald

Hello,

Are we talking about your Zebras?

Before you allow the kids to breed, let me caution you, that Zebras will breed like rabbits if offered nests and friendly breeding conditions. Please make sure that you have homes lined up for any upcoming babies.

Now to your questions:
If you really want to make sure who is breeding with whom (as in specific birds and colour mutations, etc.) then I would say yes, pairs should be housed separately.

If you just want the kids to have children, and you don't care who pairs up with whom, and if you have a large enough cage/flight, then not necessarily....

Now that said, Zebras can be territorial and become aggressive towards one another when breeding and protecting their nest area. If your flight cage is spacious enough, then community breeding is possible. You should offer more nests then you have pairs, to offer them enough choices (2 pairs, 3 nests... 3 pairs, 4 nests, etc.).

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sphenald
Pip
Pip

Post by Sphenald » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:37 am

Ok thanks for the info. I’ve bred exhibition poultry for many years and for bloodline and record keeping separate is the only way to go. I have zedra finch (newbie to finch) and I ask the question because zebras pair up so I assumed where fateful. I don’t won’t to colony breed.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:37 am

Sphenald

In most cases, Zebras will bond very closely as pairs (some of mine have been together for years) however at times eggs will get laid in other couple's nests, so accidents can happen :roll: :wink: .

Seperating pairs into their own cages will guaranty that you know which kids belong to which parents. Also, I have found that pairs have better success, when they don't have to divide their time between raising a family and defending their nest and territory.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sphenald
Pip
Pip

Post by Sphenald » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:52 pm

I put these two little guys together today, seem to be doing well. If they were going to be aggressive toward each other would it happen immediately??
They’ve been together for about four hours absolutely no problems.
Attachments
E7A1654A-7FE4-42A8-9121-4E937C0019DF.jpeg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Sphenald

What a sweet little pair!

Aggression is one of those things that can happen at any time, or not at all. Some pairs look at each other, and it's love at first sight, others take some time, and still others hate each other on sight. Then there are the couples who have a love/hate relationship, all sweet and loving one minute, and chasing and beating up on each other the next.

One has to simply listen to their interactions and keep an eye on them to see which catagory they fall into.
~Elana~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:39 pm

I’ve found ours that hate each other at first end up becoming some of the strongest pairs
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Sphenald
Pip
Pip

Post by Sphenald » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Wow, almost sounds like human relationships. LOL
I will keep a close eye on them, at this point all day they have been doing a little cuddle shuffle maneuver, they get next to one another and cuddle together.
Thanks i really appreciate the info

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:48 pm

Sphenald

I think it's <3 <3 <3 .
~Elana~