Scoieties or Budgies

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Scoieties or Budgies

Post by sparrowsong98 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:46 am

I am just done with zebras. They bicker and fight all the time. But should I just get societies or move on to `keets?
I like the hands off of the finches, but it would be nice to have a pet that I could hold and play with. It also would be easier to buy food for them. I travel an hour for finch food because the walmert near me was 6, I kid you not, 6 different brands of cockatiel food and nothing for finches and the pet shops over price it. I do not like the sound of `keets though, so unless they tend to be quiet and well behaved (I would get two boys, no girls) then I think I might get societies. Based upon this, what would work best for me?
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Scoieties or Budgies

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:37 am

sparrowsong98

A pair of budgies would likely become more bonded to each other than to you. Two budgies are also significantly louder than just one; I took care of a pair for a bit, and they would chirp and squawk from sunrise to sunset. From what I've heard, a quiet hookbill is a depressed hookbill, so some noise is to be expected. Unless you could get a single hand-raised budgie and spend much of the day with it, I would recommend getting finches instead.

Have you thought about keeping Java finches? Their larger bills enable them to eat budgie food, so you wouldn't have to drive as far to get seed.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:53 am

sparrowsong98

Budgies? NOISY!!!
I know they're pretty and tempting, but the noise level is high. They also create a lot of dust from their feathers.

Societies, sweet and reletively quiet.
Socies, are some of the sweetest birds you'll ever come across, and they come in such fascinating and different colour mutations.

Regarding Finch seed.
It can be ordered on line (?)
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:56 am

What about canarys heard these go better with finches than cook bills and they have a nice chirp
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:36 pm

Icearstorm
No one has or breeds javas by me. believe me I would have them if I could.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:11 pm

I've had most of these mentioned at one time or another. Still have gouldians and English budgies.
Agree on zebs -their neurotic activity and noise drive me nuts.

A solo budgie would fit your needs for taming and not being very noisy. More than one they will bond with each other and chatter a lot more. Get a really young one and having been hand raised is not necessary.
If you can find an English budgie direct from a breeder they are not only much larger but are calmer and quieter.

As to other hook bills, consider the grasskeets such as Bourkes or scarlet chesteds. Calm, quiet, but not as easy to hand tame.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:31 pm

sparrowsong98

Ah, I understand.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Well, they're animals so none are perfect. I had a cockatiel for quite a while and enjoyed it. Easy to care for and they bond well with people. He would wander around on my desk while I worked. I still have a piece of computer equipment with one of the wires nibbled--so be careful!

I was about to mention Canaries but Fraza beat me to it. I have Canaries in my garage, 8 or 9 of them males. There are times when I can't hear the radio for them all singing together, but it isn't constant.

I've also had budgies, in a room with a door. I like all that noise, but the door could be closed when I needed quiet.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Dave
Cockatiels and canries are over my price range.
If I had that much to spend on a bird, there would be a male irn in my house.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 pm

sparrowsong98, I don't know where you are, but at bird fairs or online ads (like Hoobly) in this area a male Canary is U.S. $50 to $75, and Cockatiels are $75-$125.

By irn you mean Indian Ring Neck Parrot?
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 pm

Around here the mass produced pet store budgies [pet store birds are to be avoided if at all possible] are$20+. These are misnamed ' parakeets' in the US.

English budgies from a breeder/exhibitor can be had for as little as $25-35. These will not be best-in-show candidates but will be superb birds if you just want a pet and don't care if there are minor "flaws" like a couple of feathers out of place.
Societies of course are dime a dozen and cheap.

It certainly would help if you put your location in your profile.

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:18 am

Dave
Yep, or some other monstrosity. But probably one of those. This bird store near us has a breeder bring his crew around on wednesdays, and I have gone up to see them a couple times. But at 400 a bird, nope.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:30 pm

sparrowsong98

Which birds are $400.00??? Surely not Budgies :shock: .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:23 pm

lovezebs no Indian Ring-necks
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:42 am

lovezebs sparrowsong98

Yep the price on the indian ringneck sounds right. I purchased my IRN Ronan, for $400 plus $40 for the dna test.

sparrowsong98

As Elana mentioned, I would get some sweet societies. You will be thrilled by how affectionate and incredibly gentle they are with each other. They are very devoted to their bonded mate and will not harm each other or fight. They will preen each other like crazy (omg its adorable <3 ) and the best part.........no plucking!! \M/

Even with all my gouldians and javas, I simply cannot part with my two cages of societies. They will always have a place in my heart and my home. I think you will completely melt when you see how they sprinkle their love magic all over your room. O:-)