Disaster in aviary

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Fraza
Molting
Molting

Disaster in aviary

Post by Fraza » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:34 pm

So I was away and someone looked all the birds outside the aviary and shut the holes so they couldn’t make it back inside where the nests are because the holes WHERE SHUT they was stuck and it was freezing

later on when I came back I looked and all the birds where absouluty freezing and looked although paralysed anyway I rushed them inside where their nests are to the warmth and this morning they where all fine and healthy again but sadly the 4 zebra chicks, the 4 society’s where looking after had died

And before people say I shud have left them with people who know how to look after them I did I left them with the people I always leave them with and they are always okay and it’s a mystery how the holes where shut I think they let them out through the door in the morning instead of the holes therefore forgot to shut them at night :(

I’m really annoyed because these zebras was so big and I had a mixture of mutations from this set I had one white one coming through grey one like a fawn and the other a normal grey :(
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: Disaster in aviary

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:22 pm

Fraza
I'm sorry about that Fraza. Hopefully you can breed the zebras again and get some of the same mutations. I wish you luck and share your grief of a loss. :( [-o<

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 dog (Getting another soon.(will post pics))
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Otj-I0yiRjboOUxEgyreA
Channel #2
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQmXcLlN_Oo7hkGE4zUgS9A

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:35 pm

FinchLover&Breeder thank you I just hope they didn’t die painfully
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Fraza
Agreed. Hopefully it was a quick painless death by the cold. As I said if your up to it you can go ahead and try to make more mutations.

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 dog (Getting another soon.(will post pics))
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Otj-I0yiRjboOUxEgyreA
Channel #2
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQmXcLlN_Oo7hkGE4zUgS9A

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:29 pm

Fraza

I'm so sorry to hear about your babies, hon. I know you were so looking forward to seeing them grow up and fledge.

Lucky that you didn't lose any of your adult birds to the cold weather.

I would strongly recommend leaving very detailed written instructions for anyone who is going to look after any of your pets, Fraser. People mean well, but it's easy to forget certain details at times. Much easier if a person has a list to follow.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:05 pm

lovezebs I know I just feel like I’m treating them stupid leavin a note but for future reference I think I will and also I think the society’s are feeling lonely because I’ve never seen 9 society’s cramped in one nest
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Fraza

Oh Frazer, I am so sorry for the loss of your birds. =(( This is awful for you, I know.

Many of us have made mistakes that cost a finch, or more in our care to die. You are not alone.

Part of what draws us to this hobby is magic of "life" we can embrace, and often lessons "death" forces us all to understand the cycle of "renewal" in these microcosms of nature we build for our birds.

I hope to ease your mind, and your heart, that you can open and accept this sad cycle and happily embrace the "spring" of "life" that will once again abound & bring joy to your aviary.

Big hugs and smiles to the future of the renewal of life life in your aviary.

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:57 pm

Fraza wrote: lovezebs I know I just feel like I’m treating them stupid leavin a note but for future reference I think I will and also I think the society’s are feeling lonely because I’ve never seen 9 society’s cramped in one nest
I used to look after my sisters fish when she was gone (I've since adopted them all) and while it's seemingly trivial to feed goldfish, it's not hard to second guess one's self and worry about too much or too little food. I always appreciated the detailed instructions, for peace of mind and comfort knowing that if anything went wrong, I knew it wasn't because I did or didn't do something.

Sorry to hear about the tragedy. I'm sure it hit you hard to find them like that knowing it was from a simple mistake.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:05 pm

Fraza

Leaving a detailed note actually makes things easier for the care givers. They can look at the instructions, check them off and know that everything is done.

As to your little Socies, they probably can't figure out what happened to their foster babies. They do like to huddle together both for warmth and for comfort.

How long were they locked out?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Babs thanks that was a nice comment
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Rob Ano yeh that’s what was so annoying how much of a simple mistake it was I’m just truly gutted because it was 4 society’s bringing up these chicks so they would have been some big and health fledlings
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:46 pm

lovezebs well I went out at about 7 in the morning and I told them to let them out at 8in the morning then I got back at 6 and they shud have been in by 4 because this is when it gets dark at the moment over here

So it’s about 10 hours just feel so bad on the little fellas that died they was looking so nice and had there eyes recently opened
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Fraza

I know sweetie, it's tough, but we can't change what happened, as much as we would like to :( .

However, we can learn from past experiences, and make sure that we don't allow this to happen again, right?

I know that these babies were precious and cannot be replaced, but there will be other babies in the future .
~Elana~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:04 pm

Got yer message Fraz that yer sent me :wink:

Really didn't know what an erf you meant by taking zeb femalese :-?? :-??

Sorry to here about yer birds mate,

These people who have supposed to of looked after yer birds are clearly not bird people, why allow people who don't know what they are doing to look after yer birds [-X

If they knew about birds then they surly wouldn't of shut the birds out knowing that they've got nests and youngsters :-O

Basically yer shouldn't of gone away, birds are a responsibility and can't just toddle off when one feels like it and expect non bird people to look after em,

That's why I don't go away and if I do it's literally only for 2-3 days max and definitely never really on anyone to try and cater for me birds and especially if they don't know nothing about birds,
I'd definitely make sure they've got plenty enough food and water, I'd normally at least X it by 4-5 on the quantity of food and water,

Hope yer get sorted [-o<

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:07 am

Fraza

My condolences. It always sucks to lose birds, especially when they were doing so well. Unfortunately, stuff of the sort has a way of popping up out of the blue; such is the nature of this unpredictable hobby. I wish you future success in your breeding plans.

A list for pet-sitters will probably need to be revised several times before it is complete. It may be a good idea to include a section of things they should make sure not to do (locking the birds out, in this case). Perhaps you could laminate a copy and attach it to the front of the aviary along with a dry-erase marker for checking off each section.