FInch Grieving / Finding a New Mate

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
RobertandCora
Pip
Pip

FInch Grieving / Finding a New Mate

Post by RobertandCora » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Gouldian Finches:

Our little Robert died this morning, very suddenly with little warning and I'm asking for advice how quickly to find a new mate for Cora. She's now alone in the cage. We have no other birds.

As far as we know, they've always been together. We don't know their ages because we bought them from a pet store after a person had brought them in because an elderly relative couldn't look after them any longer. Cora has been active today, but does seem to be looking for Robert and is calling more than she usually does. I've given her more attention than usual, whistling and talking to her, but she's smart enough to know I'm not a bird. She shows no signs of illness, but neither did Robert. I called the vet, who told me to keep an eye on her.

I'm sure many of you have gone through this, but waking up to find our little fellow sitting on the bottom of the cage, fluffed out, and unable even to get up to the lowest perch was heartbreaking. Within an hour, he was gone.

Again, I'd appreciate any advice on the timing for a new mate.

Thanks very much.

Matthew

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: FInch Grieving / Finding a New Mate

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:28 pm

RobertandCora

Hi Matthew,

I'm so sorry that you lost your Robert...

Every bird lover and breeder has gone through this over the years, and it really doesn't ever get easier. These little guys grow on us, worm their way into our hearts, and we love them.

Because you don't know the age of your birdies, it is always possible that he passed away from old age. Has he slowed down in the last while, sleeping for longer periods of time, etc.

If not, then it is possible that he had become ill with one thing or another, which would be almost impossible to diagnose .

Like your Vet said, I would keep a very close eye on you girlie, to make sure that she's doing alright. Keep an eye on her activity level, her food intake, her poops, and so on. Watch carefully for a fluffed look, shivering, sneezing, caughing, clicking sounds, looking miserable.

If she remains fine after a period of 1-3 months, I would suggest getting her a new companion.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

RobertandCora
Pip
Pip

Re: FInch Grieving / Finding a New Mate

Post by RobertandCora » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:09 am

Thank you very much, Elana!

Until the weekend, Robert was very active, singing, eating, drinking as usual. The only thing I noticed was that Sunday night, he seemed to have fluffed his feathers more than usual when he got on his perch to roost. In the morning, when I took the cover off the cage, he had backed Cora all the way to the side of the cage and seemed to be leaning against her, something I'd never seen him do before. When I came back in the room, she had moved and he was on the cage floor, where he died less than an hour later.

So far, Cora is eating, flying around the cage, preening, and seems to be herself. She did do a thorough search around the cage yesterday looking for Robert (or from my human perspective that's what she seemed to be doing).

I really appreciate your kind words and advice.

Regards,

Matthew