what an end to the year

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Finchluv
Nestling
Nestling

what an end to the year

Post by Finchluv » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:43 pm

December was quite the month for me. As i said i had gotten quite a few zebras from a friend of mine. well i had a pretty bad December to say the least. some of the birds i had gotten had just been banded about a week before i got them. somehow on two of my zebs had their bands split and were pinching the legs. i did not notice until it was too late, ill skip the terrible details, needless to say the poor birds had to go to the vet and had to have an amputation :( when i got home that day, i had to take off all the bands that caused this problem in the first place. thinking it would be easier, i took all my finches and moved them to do a deep clean of the cages. well my cage setup somehow got snagged to my coat and as i pulled away they all cam tumbling over :shock: all but one cage survived the fall. all the others had their wood sides break off. so after a good 12 hours of zipties and broken cage pieces, i got them all housed until i can get a new setup. on top of all of this a few days before newyears, during my time caring for my injured birds, i found 2 of my females had been fighting pretty badly. one of my white females had the tip of her to beak broken off. shes been placed in a cage with just her mate and has been well. so after one terrible month. im happy to say things have gotten better and now my attention is on getting my new breeding cages. thanks for letting me rant here :?: :)
Finch hobbyist for over 10 years! Zebras & Societies
-Jai

Finchluv
Nestling
Nestling

Re: what an end to the year

Post by Finchluv » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:45 pm

Edit: the bands where cheap black split bands from ebay
-Jai

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:53 am

Finchluv What an awful way to end the year! Hopefully, your run of bad luck is over. I really don't like split bands, as I've had them get caught in things, slip down over the foot causing the blood circulation to be cut off, or just fall off altogether. But I have to have some way to identify birds for family records, etc.

The NFSS now sells rubber-band type bands that I love. They are closed, easy to apply, easy to take off (cut if necessary). They cost a little more than plain split bands, but I think they are worth it.

http://nfss.org/band-director/2018-nfss-bands/
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Finchluv
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Finchluv » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 am

Sally
Thankyou for the link! I wanted to band my birds once i got my breeding setup finished. I feel so much better knowing about these! Thankyou again!
-Jai

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:34 pm

Oh no was any of the birds injured in the cages that fell and where are they all stored bet they all look like a pack of sardines in one cage :shock: :lol:

But it will be worth while because they are all getting new cages
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Finchluv
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Finchluv » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Fraza
luckily i had the birds in a small flight so i could deep clean the cages outside. the cages tumbled down my deck and that is a pretty big fall. but i found a lot of cages on amazon for $150 and thats honestly better then what i had before. i decided to get a new lighting set for the cages, so things are looking up. but for now they are split between a flight cage and a makeshift cage i made with the broken pieces. so not too crammed together. but not a great situation.
-Jai

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Finchluv atkeast all you’re finches are getting to know each other if u ever want a change around there’s always somet good out of somet bad :mrgreen:
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3