Average vet prices in your countries

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Fraza
Molting
Molting

Average vet prices in your countries

Post by Fraza » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Just curious if you average bet prices as over here it’s really a expensive for a finch to go into the vets they charge about £60 just for a simple problem you can fix yourself, I hope I never need to take a bird to one because it’s so expensive

Anyway is yours this exoenisve
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Average vet prices in your countries

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Not sure sorry, have never taken a bird to the vet as I don't think we have a bird vet here.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 pm

I have found that some of the best avian vets in the country are the most reasonably priced, and the ones that are the most expensive, don't know what they're doing.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Some issues you can not fix yourself unless you know what to look for within the belly of the finch, droppings and exactly what to treat with...I see people that have ill birds that have definite GI issues from things like protozoa, cocci... the owner reaches for stuff like doxy, tetracycline with will do not thing but irritate the gut lining further and delay proper treatment which can make the difference in how fast the bird gets better. Not all antibiotics are broad spectrum, not all antibiotics work on every kind of bacteria. Some antibiotics such as baytril, doxy and tetracycline, any of the cillians can also bring up secondary yeast and fungal as well and may require medistatin to be given to the beak also.

Most vets will do several fecal slides, testing and necropsy if needed.... if the birds have Megabac or other highly transmitted diseases best to spend the money to protect your flock, they may need more than what you can buy on line to treat them... also some issues can mimic other issues and wrong meds can be given if you try to doctor yourself which in some cases will make the issue worse.

An office visit can range from 30 to 60 depending on what is done...most vets in our area are very fairly priced, conservative and some are even willing to take extra time to discuss the diet and care, answer random questions.

Larger parrots such as Greys, Cockatoos need an annual check up and blood levels monitored to be sure they are on target nutrition wise and the kidneys, liver are functioning well... it is sort of like a well baby visit, like bringing your dog or cat in for a yearly exam.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Flight Feathers I haven’t but know of people who have and they was telling me how expensive it is
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:58 pm

wildbird really that’s weird but I guess it’s because the ones that know actually care about the birds so won’t rob you instead help the little bird
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:01 pm

cindy yeh some thinngs you can solve yourself though that vets would charge for example when my zebs got a strange flaky thing on there beaks I searched online the symptoms and it said take them vets and I gave them an idiodine block and mashed abit in there water and food and two days later it was completely gone

Second time I had a bird shivering and looking less energetic so I gave her sugar water and she started to perk up then next day it stoped shaking then the day after it was more energetic

But if I ever get a nasty diesease running through my flock am not looking forward to a massive bet bill hahaha
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:03 pm

It does not really make money sense for me to take a bird to the vet. It would cost me about R400 for a visit. For that I will be able to buy 10 zebrafinches, 8 bengales, almost a pair of starfinches or a single parrotfinch and have a bit of change over. I bought a packet of Fosbac T last month to treat a Bechino, The meds cost me R250 and the finch died in anycase. To replace the bird also cost me R250. So medication apart from cocci and worm meds is not cost effective either. But I always hope that a sick bird will recover.
Marius

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 pm

if treatments are used for what they are suppose to be used and used in a timely manner some birds can be pulled through.....

I also would not use sugar water unless stress and trauma.. sugar encourages yeast.... it a bird is fluffed and ill it could be a list of things wrong.... always give a down bird heat while you determine what is wrong....

A majority of issues can be prevented when you bring the birds home, 90 day quarantine and simple preventative... deworm, mite and protozoa, cocci treatments/preventatives.

A lot of people with ill birds keep having issues due to improper cleaning while the birds are recovering, if not disinfecting, sanitizing the birds will keep re-infecting themselves. POOPOFF and products like that are not disinfectants.

~ My Facebook groups ~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:51 pm

cindy yeh I’ve only ever had to use it once I’ve only ever had two Ill birds then about 2 with egg binding out of a lot of females one due to to many clutches the other just struggles passing in general and pefers to have no other zebs near her whikst she lays

Anyway I just keep hopping no illnesses come to be honest though I think having the oyster shells, mineral block and iodine block in the aviary helps a lot I’ve not had one problem since have these
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:55 pm

MariusStegmann yeh I get what u mean and I hate seeing a bird ill once I Almost bought an ill finch that looked altogiugh it was gonna die just because I felt sorry for it but I couldn’t get him as I only had two cages and don’t want to make my birds ILL
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:31 pm

cindy I agree with you Cindy, but if you have an outside aviary, diseases and mites can be carried over from wild birds.
Marius

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 pm

true but you can still maintain it with do periodic preventatives/treatments for cocci, mites, protozoa (see a lot more in peoples' birds in warmer weather, changing out water tubes/sources often can help also), you can de-worm periodically to try to things at bay.

~ My Facebook groups ~