the two finches that started my finch hobby? WHICH ARE YOURS

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Fraza
Molting
Molting

the two finches that started my finch hobby? WHICH ARE YOURS

Post by Fraza » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:08 am

So thought it would be fun for everyone to post a pic of the two finches who started off there hobby for example I had coco and another male but these weren’t the ones who started off my hobby it was infact ginge and coco who turned it into a hobby and there’s a pic below
Attachments
DB980EE9-D5C6-42E4-9336-42F034B810DC.jpeg
DB980EE9-D5C6-42E4-9336-42F034B810DC.jpeg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: the two finches that started my finch hobby? WHICH ARE Y

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:48 pm

Fraza

I started with four fawn pied society finches from someone on Craigslist. Unfortunately, they weren't in the best condition, and only two of them made it.

My main two, the sisters Whitehead the Vengeful (left) and Finch the Finch (right). They were fine once their tail feathers grew back, and were excellent parents.
image.jpeg
Here's the unnamed female (right). She came down with a respiratory infection shortly after I got her, and died the day I ordered medicine. To this day, I don't know what exactly the problem was.
image.jpeg
Roy, the male that couldn't fly. His tail and wing feathers were so damaged that all he could do was flutter around a bit. I had the cage open once, and he must have fallen out. I made the mistake of not counting the birds before closing the cage. The next morning I realized that the dog killed him. Morbid, but I learned my lesson; pay attention and make sure that the birds are safe and secure before leaving.
image.jpeg

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:06 pm

Icearstorm yeh well everyone has orhlems with there first finches and no ones here to judge I’ve had my fair share

Coco couldn’t fly when I first got him he sounds like your little one his tail feathers would always fall out and on one wing he has a batch of feathers missing on his left wing, now he can fly after I used to hold him up in tank W the cage on a stick and let him drop down when he lost his tail it grew back stronger he can now fly and is in the aviary but still has the batch missing on the left. He actually can run on the ground because he was so used to running under the finches when the others used to fly hahaha the others hop and he runs hahahahahah :mrgreen:

My nest two I got was zebs and these are finchie Mum and Dad and they got attacked my magpies when finchie was a fledgling with her sister and her sister got killed they pulled half her body through the cage luckily finchie got stuck in the news paper I though she was gone till I cleaned the cage and saw her. This is also how coco lost his tail because they tried nicking his hatchlings but instead caught his tail

There’s always bad mistakes I think the magpie one is by far the worst for me #-o

Anyway those pied finches are nice I like the pied fawn ones that’s why I really liked ginge anyway have u still got any of there chicks ? :mrgreen:
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:09 pm

This is finchie she had to get adopted by coco and ginge with there hatchlings after the attack finchie mother turned nasty
Attachments
673354A3-F02C-4ABE-88C7-249AEB117B12.jpeg
6D0AA4EB-D95A-4C70-AD2E-0E0A4F111E5E.jpeg
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Fraza

Roy's wing feathers weren't falling out, but looked like someone took a pair of scissors to them. I imagine some bird was biting his feathers off, but either way, it was odd. He got around all right, and climbed up the metal screen to get to the top of the cage with the others.

When the birds finally started moulting out their broken tail feathers, they didn't seem used to fully-grown feathers, and ripped them out or chewed them off. It took a few months before they kept long tails.

In that situation, it's probably good that society finches lose their tails so easily, otherwise the magpies might have been able to catch Coco, as well.

I don't have them anymore; another bird keeper got the two of them and their ten chicks.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:57 am

Icearstorm yeh actually that’s true never thought about that lucky he does have a loose tail

I like all your society’s u have now anyway because u have all selfs and that’s what I’ve been trying to breed for ages, and think ive finally gonna get some as I’m in the process of getting coco paired to a full self now she was also bought from a show with the Java’s I have (thats what Bill told me ) but they do have the same metal rings on with the same writing, so I’m looking forward to chicks in few months I will be posting pics
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:56 am

Fraza
Sounds good!

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:35 pm

My first ever zebra finch was my white male which I was given. And then not long after I went to the pet shop and bought two "females" turned out they were male and female and then they had babies.... Now here I am today with 11 or so Zebs.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Flight Feathers have u still got your white male by any chance and it’s nice to know everyone’s starting point I hope everyone comments
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Fraza wrote: Flight Feathers have u still got your white male by any chance and it’s nice to know everyone’s starting point I hope everyone comments
Yep I still have him. He has currently got four babies and is a very good father! Him and my fawn hen (the female I bought not long after I got him) are my best breeding pair! The other male which was supposed to be a female is my black face pied, and I still have him also.
Funny thing is I thought I had 2 females and 1 male back when I first got finches so I bought another male. I actually had 3 males tho and 1 female , poor female was laying eggs in all their nests and I just assumed it was my other female (who was actually a male). then my newest male died and that was then when my So called two females had babies and then I finally realised they were a pair and not two females. And then I bought another female (and she actually just died a couple weeks ago)

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Flight Feathers wrote:
Fraza wrote: Flight Feathers have u still got your white male by any chance and it’s nice to know everyone’s starting point I hope everyone comments
Yep I still have him. He has currently got four babies and is a very good father! Him and my fawn hen (the female I bought not long after I got him) are my best breeding pair! The other male which was supposed to be a female is my black face pied, and I still have him also.
Funny thing is I thought I had 2 females and 1 male back when I first got finches so I bought another male. I actually had 3 males tho and 1 female , poor female was laying eggs in all their nests and I just assumed it was my other female (who was actually a male). then my newest male died and that was then when my So called two females had babies and then I finally realised they were a pair and not two females. And then I bought another female (and she actually just died a couple weeks ago)
And since then I have had a lot more baby finches.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Flight Feathers wow quite a journey atkeast u still have him I’d never get rid of coco
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:14 pm

Fraza wrote: Flight Feathers wow quite a journey atkeast u still have him I’d never get rid of coco
Yeah! I've had tons of finches since those ones.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:26 pm

Flight Feathers yeh I find it strange I do not know if it’s just me but certain finches they have this attachment where they actually have a personality and interact then some they just don’t take to humans and that why sometimes I get new ones then later move them onto new homes
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:29 pm

Fraza wrote: Flight Feathers yeh I find it strange I do not know if it’s just me but certain finches they have this attachment where they actually have a personality and interact then some they just don’t take to humans and that why sometimes I get new ones then later move them onto new homes
Yeah it's quite true. My special finches I keep are the friendly less scared ones. I don't really like having flighty ones.