Much too hot for nests

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Much too hot for nests

Post by MariusStegmann » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:46 pm

Today the temperature here was 37 Celsius. The baby birds that were still in nestboxes decided that it was cooler elsewhere. That is 3 diamond firetails and a single gouldian chick. The gouldian chick was really looking ragged because of the heat.
diamond.jpg
bedraggled gouldian.jpg
Marius

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Much too hot for nests

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:49 pm

We've had a lot of 30 degrees plus days over here too! Sadly it caused my canaries to die in the shell.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Flight Feathers I have had at least 10 gouldian chicks that died in the shell or parents that abandoned the eggs because of the heat.
Marius

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:33 pm

MariusStegmann wrote: Flight Feathers I have had at least 10 gouldian chicks that died in the shell or parents that abandoned the eggs because of the heat.

I am very sorry to hear! It is quite disappointing when things like that happen but I guess it's all part of breeding birds

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:24 am

Yes, losses are part of this hobby, although I have learned not to count my chickens before they hatch. :D By me there are always regrets, I should not have done this or that. The other day, I looked at a gouldian chick that was trying to hatch. The chick's head and neck was out of the egg, but could not get it's body out, and I decided to help it out of the egg. I saw that there was another chick that has managed to punch quite a few holes in it's egg. The beak was flicking in and out, and I thought that it would be quite successful in hatching. When I looked 2 days later, I saw that the chick had died in the egg. I broke the egg open and found that the eggshell was uncommonly hard. Someone said that the heat and lack of humidity was the cause of this. Then I had more regrets that i didn't give the chick a little bit of assistance. :D
Marius

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:51 am

MariusStegmann wrote: Yes, losses are part of this hobby, although I have learned not to count my chickens before they hatch. :D By me there are always regrets, I should not have done this or that. The other day, I looked at a gouldian chick that was trying to hatch. The chick's head and neck was out of the egg, but could not get it's body out, and I decided to help it out of the egg. I saw that there was another chick that has managed to punch quite a few holes in it's egg. The beak was flicking in and out, and I thought that it would be quite successful in hatching. When I looked 2 days later, I saw that the chick had died in the egg. I broke the egg open and found that the eggshell was uncommonly hard. Someone said that the heat and lack of humidity was the cause of this. Then I had more regrets that i didn't give the chick a little bit of assistance. :D
Yeah it's definitely all part of it! I have plenty of regrets too - at least I can learn from my mistakes! Sorry to hear about the gouldian.

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:17 pm

are u in the south hemisphere? now should be summer there , and it's equivalent of our July (+30 °c ). i do never breed finches in that month [-X , spring or autumn are the best

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:51 pm

haroun wrote: are u in the south hemisphere? now should be summer there , and it's equivalent of our July (+30 °c ). i do never breed finches in that month [-X , spring or autumn are the best
Yep summer here. Usually Summer is just warm and fine for breeding birds but this year changed and got a bit hotter than usual.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:52 pm

I tried to breed my canaries in spring but thy wouldn't because it wasn't right in breeding season and now I think breeding season may be finished for them until next season.