New babies, new behaviors

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

New babies, new behaviors

Post by ann » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:54 pm

I never get tired of watching my birds and noticing new behaviors. I have a pair of societies sharing a cage with a female canary. They are in together because the male society and canary were best friends before the female society came along. Four eggs were laid, two hatched, and those societies are keeping the crops so full it looks like they're going to burst.

I'm really surprised new behaviors I'm seeing. All the birds in the bird room are fascinated by what's going on in that cage. They are paying very close attention to everything the societies do, and the canary has turned into a guard dog. If I come up close to the cage to try to see the babies, she puts herself between me and the nest. Sometimes it seems like she's trying to stare me down. I would not be at all surprised if I saw that canary feeding those babies one day. It's all very, very cute; I could spend all day in there watching this bird show.
Last edited by ann on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New babies, new behaviors

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:07 pm

ann

Hi Ann, and congratulations on the babies =D> .

Yes, Societies make excellent parents.

Love your Canary guard dog.... is it a male or a female then?

It may feed the young ones, you never know :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:20 pm

lovezebs

Female - thanks for the heads up, I changed the hims to hers.
2 owls
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:15 pm

ann - Hi Ann, what a lovely story! Do you think the other birds are taking 'lessons' from your societies? Kind of like a 'show-and-tell' by the societies?
How are your other birds doing? I noticed the other day that the next Pomona Bird Mart is coming up on March 18 - are you interested in going?
Iso

Cloesparkle21
Pip
Pip

Post by Cloesparkle21 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:44 pm

I have a pair of society finches and they have 6 eggs. I've noticed one is cracked and i believe it isnt fertile. I'm nervous about messing with them too much and they abandon them. Should i remove the cracked egg or just leave it be?

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Cloesparkle21

I would leave it alone. It can't do any harm, and there's no use taking any chances. We had an infertile egg in the nest, and after the babies were a few days old the mom just pushed it out. Problem solved.
2 owls
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 pm

Cloesparkle21 wrote: I have a pair of society finches and they have 6 eggs. I've noticed one is cracked and i believe it isnt fertile. I'm nervous about messing with them too much and they abandon them. Should i remove the cracked egg or just leave it be?
The egg should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds